They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Netflix Streaming

Created 3 years ago, edited 3 years ago.
Status changed 2 years ago
Author:

tdell22
Considered
  Score:
16 votes
Idea:

From Netflix:

"Watching instantly on your computer

Our apologies — streaming is not supported for your operating system.

Note that your current Internet browser is fully compatible with adding titles to the Instant Queue for later watching on compatible devices.
Complete System Requirements

To watch instantly, you'll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

* Windows
o Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Vista or Windows 7
o Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher; or Chrome 7 or higher
o 1.2 GHz processor
o 512 MB RAM
* Mac
o An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
o Safari 3 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher
o 1 GB RAM"

IMO this is a problem considering how mainstream streaming video is in our society these days. Maybe I should be asking Netflix to support my operating system? As an individual I may not accomplish much, but as a community we could change "minimum requirements" to include other operating systems.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I appreciate the interest you have exhibited as I understand that you would like to know if/ when Microsoft intend Netflix streaming that will support Linux Users.

We have not yet announced a specific release date for any updates. When an announcement takes place, Microsoft will publicly disclose and broadly communicate it through our website.

Please check the Microsoft website regularly for the latest news.

Should you have other concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,

Angel

Microsoft Customer Service Representative…. Meet the new Windows Phone 7

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please send it to my manager, Maureen, by clicking the link below. Please be sure to include the name of my manager in the subject field.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9685406

-- Original Message ---
Sent : Monday, February 21, 2011 9:49:45 PM UTC
To : CNTUS.GNCS.NA.00.EN.000.000.CS.CMR.CUS.00.WB@css.one.microsoft.com
Subject : Netflix Streaming for Linux Users

PRODUCT
Other

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Message: When does Microsoft intened to make streaming video available to Linux users? It would seem that not all operating systems are supported and do not meet "minimum requirements" as this message from Netflix attests:

"Watching instantly on your computer

Our apologies — streaming is not supported for your operating system.

Note that your current Internet browser is fully compatible with adding titles to the Instant Queue for later watching on compatible devices.
Complete System Requirements

To watch instantly, you'll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

* Windows
o Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Vista or Windows 7
o Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher; or Chrome 7 or higher
o 1.2 GHz processor
o 512 MB RAM
* Mac
o An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
o Safari 3 or higher; or Firefox 3 or higher
o 1 GB RAM"

As of 02/21/2011 there are 12,230 signatures at the following site (http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html) to have "Watch Now" available to Linux users. Maybe they should be petitioning Microsoft?

A more experienced user of Linux than myself suggested this:
"... Microsoft would need to release the DRM code to Moonlight, or make a DRM-capable Silverlight plugin for Linux."

Being a novice user of Linux OS I'm not sure of all the intricacy of open-source coding but this issue goes beyond an individual. Any information on how to make streaming possible for Linux would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments:

2 years ago

dagon
"Thank you for your comments. I contacted Microsoft about this issue and awaiting a reply."
I doubt that you got any reply.

There seem to have been work done on this by Netflix and Google but in any case this isn't anything the Mint developers can do anything about so I have to reject this.

new -> rejected

2 years ago

Carlo_P
I know this site hasn't been updated in awhile, but there may be hope.

There are home media players such as the WD Live TV! Plus - they are linux based (debian to be exact) that do have Netflix built in.

If WesternDigital was able to find away to interface Netflix into their device, there should be some way to create an app to do the same thing for Linux Distro's

3 years ago

ecogoth
i love linux i spoke with netflix regarding this problem. even some of thier workers use netflix. the representive i spoke to said the more people that call into netflix about this issue the better. in the mean time their has to be a way around. i got net flix over hulu becuase they have more of the shows i like. and movies. if anyone know a way around to stream netflix let me know ok. thankyou linux team this computer i got was very damageded and deleting windows was quite a nice feeling.  
3 years ago

blueXrider
Its not the ideal situation but you can VM+XP to watch  
3 years ago

orionthehunter
Until then, check out Miro. It's an open source media program that includes links to tons of DRM free videos and other media.

By using software like this and avoiding main stream DRMed movies, you will have an impact on the movie companies' profitability, economically pushing them towards being more open.

That's my take on it anyway.

3 years ago

tdell22
Thank you for your comments. I contacted Microsoft about this issue and awaiting a reply.  
3 years ago

mikefreeman
There is already a petition that has over ten-thousand signatures on it (http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html). However, from what I understand, the problem isn't with NetFlix itself, it's with the movie companies' insistence on DRM protection on their film files. The movie companies make the files themselves with DRM built-in, which is the only way NetFlix is allowed to distribute them.

According to NetFlix forum posts, NetFlix would like to make their service available to Linux users (they even have at least one Ubuntu user on their staff who commented in the forum), but how many DRM-capable video streaming plugins do we currently have on Linux? Zero. No one is going to release one as open-source, because then everyone can see how it's done and make their own decoders, which defeats the purpose of having DRM. Microsoft is the only one that I am aware of that makes any DRM-capable video-streaming plugin (Silverlight). Until they allow Moonlight to use DRM or make an official Silverlight port (don't hold your breath), then we're stuck.

Not to be a downer, and I personally don't like it, but that's the low-down. I don't think anything we do here on this site will change any of that. Maybe go to the source and petition Microsoft to release the DRM code to Moonlight, or make a DRM-capable Silverlight plugin for Linux, but other than that, I don't see that there's anything more we can do.

3 years ago

JeanGrosJean
I don't stream videos myself, but whenever there's an opportunity to promote Linux, I'm in.
How do you plan to go about on this one?

Other ideas from tdell22

No other ideas.