They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Mint need simple picture editor

Created 3 years ago, edited 3 years ago.
Status changed 2 years ago
Author:

ibrahimsuprapto
Selected
  Score:
41 votes
Idea:

Windows as we know have Paint as default picture editor. it's so simple. Why all linux don't have it like that? i mean as a default so we don't need to install or searching tool for doing job like crop, resize, add frame (have huge colection of frame), change brightness or contrass with easy... i think Gimp is not simple and it's heavy.
So i think Mint is must have simple picture editor too... Like Pinta maybe? To make Mint more perfectly :D

Comments:

1 year ago

inckie
A program that I still miss after I switched from Windows to Linux, is Adobe Fireworks

Gimp just does not seem right for me

1 year ago

Malsasa
I agree for Ibrahim Suprapto's idea. Maybe Pinta is the best Paint for Mint. Really Mint should have a simple image editor (cropping is very essential; not found at GNOME Image Viewer).  
1 year ago

fixitmanarizona
Gimp developers lately have said they reccomend using another application for simpler tasks, or for "newbie" users. They are now shooting for "professional users." Pinta has come a long way, and is probably the best solution. It's based on Paint.net from Windows (NOT ms PAINT) and supports (surprisingly) layers, for one, which is a great tool ONCE you learn it. Unlike Gimp, it's easy to discover the built-in tools, such as converting to monocrhome, or tinting something red.
However, it's perfectly usable even if all you ever used before was MS Paint. No confusing multiple windows, (although the latest version of the GIMP has that option ... FINALLY... but it's less usable than its predecessors for the average user!
G-thumb or another viewer most likely will do simple crops, however.

2 years ago

quake0
Gimp has inproved. No need for this.  
2 years ago

natchezjohn
Gimp?? I haven't figured out how to crop an image on that thingee!!!!  
3 years ago

tayss
Simplier to use than Gimp? You must be kidding. Im not a professional graphic artist. How could i learn it within a few weeks. After this i made everything from handdrawn pictures up to movie clips and everything.  
3 years ago

blueXrider
Gimp  
3 years ago

jeremi360
I'm think Pinta will be good  
3 years ago

sahwar
I agree. I would like to see a new graphics/image editor for GNU/Linux. I'm thinking about a program that is a mixture of Pinta, KolourPaint, GNOME Paint, Krita, mtPaint and MyPaint. It would definitely help those who work with images on a regular basis.

It's 100% true that the GIMP does that and much more, but a more minimalist and lightweight app for editing pictures should definitely improve the Mint experience.

P.S. For the sake of completeness: most popular image viewers (e.g. Gwenview, Mirage, Shotwell) in the software repositories do support basic editing functions, such as resizing, rotating, cropping, etc., but they are essentially viewers, not general image editors.

3 years ago

ayies
agreeeeeeeeeeeeee  
3 years ago

M_onkeyman
Gimp shurns on my computer, so I agree with this idea. I recently tried Pinta and it seems to be a good and simple paint program  
3 years ago

ibrahimsuprapto
Yeah you're all right. and I hope it installed as default. a simple picture editor and an alternative other than gimp  
3 years ago

mikefreeman
I like GIMP, but it is a bit overwhelming for the average person who at most might want to get red-eye out of a photo, or draw a quick sketch. Something more basic would be a better default in that respect. I personally like Pinta, although Nathive looks promising once it's got a few more basic features added to it.  
3 years ago

burjans
Gimp is for designers, not for the common users, I think is not necessary by default .... if you want to have you can to install very easy from the repositories or using Synaptic, that is my opinion. Pinta, Fotoxx or Nathive by default would be good.  
3 years ago

Neck
/support
Although Gimp is a good editor, it is way too heavy (in terms of functions, interface, loading time, etc) when all you want is resizing a picture. Replacing the default viewer by a program with a few quick and basic edit functions would be an improvement imho.

3 years ago

efthialex
@ibrahimsuprapto 

You're welcome my friend.

3 years ago

ibrahimsuprapto
@efthialex , thx for ur info ! that's cool  
3 years ago

tatsujin79
in my opinion gimp is just fine for users running the main edition, it fits in well and does the job. Something like pinta or mtpaint would be great options but would fit in better with the lxde or fluxbox editions of mint  
3 years ago

efthialex
@ibrahimsuprapto 

Plus

mtPaint

3 years ago

efthialex
@ibrahimsuprapto 

Simple picture editors

LightZone
Gpaint
Fotoxx

3 years ago

western
There is some simple editor, but there is not a decent tutorial for total beginners like me.  
3 years ago

ibrahimsuprapto
@efthialex i have internet connection in my home using adsl. But I mean how to people who do not have Internet access? so i think Mint os must have simple picture editor just for simple job like crop,add frame or resize. I did not even good at playing Gimp. it's too professional :D  
3 years ago

efthialex
@ibrahimsuprapto If you do not have internet,where will you get the live cd??
How will you make the updates? :S

3 years ago

zaenal1234
agree.
great idea.
I agree.

3 years ago

ibrahimsuprapto
@efthialex , I have tried it ..very cool! but how to people who do not have internet? :D  
3 years ago

efthialex
@ibrahimsuprapto Did you try pixlr?
http://pixlr.com/editor/

3 years ago

ibrahimsuprapto
@efthialex , we can not equate all people using a fast computer. In my country there so many people still using pentium 3.And For some machines are considered heavy(30mb).We need an alternative. Just as there are two alternatives openoffice and gedit on Linux then we need a quick and simple tool besides gimp  
3 years ago

Alexio
A libre software image editor, similar to Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photo-Paint or GIMP, but focused on usability, logic and providing a smooth learning curve for everyone is Nathive.  
3 years ago

efthialex
(Gimp)30 MB is heavy? Ok Fold.
Anyway you can use this site http://pixlr.com/ to edit,create and save your images. No install required. ;-)

3 years ago

ibrahimsuprapto
@Xyvie , Yeah :D that's what I mean  
3 years ago

Xyie
I don't see any reason to replace Gimp, but I think adding Pinta would be a good option, or at least something comparable to Pinta. Gimp is great for getting lots of work done and is a full-featured image editor...comparable to say, Abiword or OpenOffice in the word-processing environment. Having an image editor that is much simpler than Gimp in the same way that Mousepad or Gedit is simpler than Abiword or OpenOffice...that idea is appealing. One program for doing serious work, and one program for sketching up a quick idea.  
3 years ago

burjans
I am agree, I think Pinta is a good option

http://www.pinta-project.com

Other ideas from ibrahimsuprapto