They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

PDF printer and PDF editor combined with PDF reader installed by default.

Created 2 years ago, edited 2 years ago.
Status changed 2 years ago
Author:

sunewbie
Implemented
  Score:
12 votes
Idea:

I have Isadora and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. In both of them, I needed to install pdf printer to print a page from a multipage doc. One touch PDF creator (inbuilt inside software like Libreoffice) creates PDF of entire document.Again to edit it or add/remove pages, I have to download pdf editor separately.

As an End user and windows convert, I found it difficult to install cupps printer (even though I managed after 10-15 mins), it is not as easy as in windows. I never expected that to install a pdf printer, I will need to search for 20 mins. In windows XP, All I needed to know was the name of PDF printer. If you download nitro pdf reader (free), one .exe file will install PDF reader & editor (as one app) and PDF printer in one click.

Ideally, I would prefer one .deb file or one click that will install all 3 apps - PDF reader, PDF editor and PDF printer. Best would be, all 3 pdf apps installed by default.

To add to it, is it possible to combine 2 apps - pdf reader and editor, when both are free and open source?

Comments:

1 year ago

sunewbie
Thank you @thinker .

However I think devs have already marked as implemented. So it is less likely that they will have a second look at this idea :)

1 year ago

Thinker
Linux has only 1% in Desktops but in Supercomputers, Windows not even has 1%. Out off top 500 Supercomputers, only two run on Windows. Check this out:

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-share-in-supercomputer-os/

RELATED TO YOUR IDEA: If PDF writer and reader can not be combined, atleast some PDF editor can be included by default to provide ease to the new users and to those who don't have internet connection.

2 years ago

sunewbie
Thank you @compuman2004 & @prativasic for your inputs. I will not delete this idea.  
2 years ago

prativasic
That's a lot of usefule information. Thanks everybody.
And @sunewbie, don't delete the idea.

2 years ago

sunewbie
ok Thank you @Alexio for the links.
There is also http://www.osalt.com/

2 years ago

Alexio
@sunewbie - Please do not delete this idea as all the interesting comments will be also deleted.

To find the best equivalent apps for various operating systems I would recommend at least two websites: alternativeTo and Wakoopa.

2 years ago

sunewbie
@mikefreeman:
If pdf printer is already installed by default, then this idea is more or less and already implemented. so I will delete it.

Regarding combining the 2 softwares, I had said 'is it possible' :). I know it is not easy but for the one who is making an entire OS, then it should be withing the reach.

The reason why I am trying to compare with windows is that Linux is still suffering from Bug #1. Linux has only 1 % market share and the way it is designed it suits advanced users more than end users until ubuntu came. Still library stuff, synaptic etc are still there in other distros.

If you want to gain market, geeks are only 1 %. One developer influences lac of end users. It is the end user who is in majority. If an end user is used to some system, the best is to create an identical and later on show them the real power of Linux and it's strength. Even if Linux manages equal share of Mac i.e. 7.5 % entire scenario will change.

Most of the voices that we here are from advanced users.
This is my personal opinion.

A stop gap solution is to make one familiar of the windows equivalent.

Ronnie of Full Circle magazine from FCM#54 will also explain what is the difference between different DE and it's default apps. I have also submitted in calc format the windows equivalent in Linux. If this file is given on downloads page then it would be much easier for end users.

Even though original idea is not useful, a better idea can be coined from this idea :)

2 years ago

sunewbie
@mikefreeman @blueXrider 

Thank you for your inputs.

@mikefreeman:
I did not knew that it is installed by default in later system, so I did mentioned which version I have.

2 years ago

mikefreeman
Also, I have a feeling installing nitro pdf reader for Windows isn't as easy as the separate equivalents in Mint. Let's compare...

Windows: First, you need to know about it (I never heard of nitro before, just like you probably never heard of cups-pdf or evince before). If you don't know about it, you'll have to do some searching. Open up your browser (at least 2 clicks). Click on the search or URL bar (up to 3 clicks total). Enter your search term. Click on the link (up to 4 clicks). Click to download (minimum of 1 click, probably more - up to 5+ clicks). Exit or minimize browser (now at 6+ clicks). Double-click the installer (8+ clicks). If it's like the usual Windows installer, you'll need at least 3-4 clicks to install it (11+ clicks). Exit the installer (12+ clicks). The system might ask for a reboot, so click to do that (13+ clicks). Installed.

Mint: Assuming none of what you're looking for is installed by default (which most of it was on my system), open the Mint menu (1 click). Select Software Manager (up to 2 clicks). Click on the search bar (3 clicks). Type pdf printer. Click on cups-pdf (4 clicks). Click Install (5 clicks). Click on the search bar (6 clicks). Type pdf reader. Click on acroread (7 clicks). Click Install (8 clicks). Click on the search bar (9 clicks). Type pdf edit. Click on pdfedit (10 clicks). Click Install (11 clicks). Exit Software Manager (12 clicks).

That process is fewer clicks than the Windows install (and I was being generous with that one).

Or, here's an alternative: use the Mint Menu search bar. Instead of running Software Manager, just search for the package there. It will either instantly find and display what you're looking for, or give you the name of the package to install, and you install it straight from the menu for even fewer clicks. And no rebooting required.

And, if most of it is installed by default (which it was for me), that's even less work - only 1 package to install.

Not saying this to be rude (if it came across that way, I apologize). I'm just clarifying the process.

2 years ago

mikefreeman
Really, this is something that might be handled better in a forum, but I'll try and answer you here, anyway.

First off, if you are new from the Windows way of thinking, you need to remove the concept of going to your web browser (at least at first) to find software. The Software Manager (on the left side in your Mint menu) is your best friend. It makes this process so much easier.

Now, I don't remember if this was the case in 10.04/Isadora, but in LMDE and 10.10/Julia and later, a PDF printer is installed and enabled by default. Are you sure what you need isn't already there?

If it's not there by default, go into the Software Manager in Mint, and type 'pdf printer' in the search bar. You'll get "cups-pdf" in the list. Click on that, and click Install (if it's not already installed).

Once it's done installing, go into Administration -> Printing. If there isn't a PDF printer already in your printer list, click the Add button. Select the 'Generic-CUPS-PDF-Printer', click Forward, click Apply. Done.

Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

As for the PDF reader, Evince is installed by default, and should be what the document opens in automatically. If you prefer Adobe Reader, go to your Software Manager again (or stay there until your software installing spree is done), search for Adobe Reader, and install it.

Now, most people don't have a need for a PDF editor, so that one isn't installed by default. There are a few options for that one. For basic page moving, try pdfshuffler, pdfsam, pdfchain, pdfmod, etc. Again, found in Software Manager. There is a pdf editor plugin for LibreOffice/OpenOffice, too.

As for combining two pieces of software into one, that's a bigger task than you might think, and you're asking the wrong group. That's something that should be done by the PDF software developers, not Mint or Ubuntu.

2 years ago

blueXrider
This software also supports scripting and almost anything can be scripted. PDFedit is a low-level tool for users. You can use this software:
=> To write / create / edit PDF files.
=> Print PDF files.
=> Save PDF files.
=> Export PDF files to XML etc.
Install PDFEdit

If you are using Debian or Ubuntu Linux, enter:
$ sudo apt-get install pdfedit
Start Editing PDF Files with PDFEdit editor

To start PDFEdit, type:
$ pdfedit /path/to/pdf.file &
$ pdfedit &

Other ideas from sunewbie