They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

One click reinstall of grub / grub2 on live cd.

Created 4 years ago, edited 4 years ago.
Status changed 2 years ago
Author:

pokemoncatdog
Selected
  Score:
215 votes
Idea:

A one click reinstall of grub would be nice. Just boot live cd, click reinstall grub, grub will find the version you have, then if you have grub2 it will automatically reinstall but if you have grub it will udate grub to grub2 for you, then find all partitions, os's, and setup the menu for you and DONE. Came on GRBU /grub2 is not even on the live cd for Linux Mint 8.

I mean how does the Ubuntu/ Linux Mint installer install grub? I am thinking of an installer that only excuses the grub install part of the Linux Mint full install.

1. load live cd
2. click icon on decktop (re)install GRUB
3. one page form for user to input user chosen defaults
4. click (re)install Grub
5. Restart pc, tack out cd

The following dose not work when using the Linux Mint 8 cd.

sudo grub -----> I get error grub not installed try apt install grub or someting like that.
find /boot/grub/stage1 ----> after apt install stage1 can not be found.
root (hd?,?) ------> must know what partition to use.
setup (hd0) -----> must know what drive to use.
quit ----> no error just exits/quits the terminal

A one click reinstall were be way better for the past windows user.
Also this would give a past windows user one LESS reason the go back to windows.

A one click reinstall of grub would only add like a max of 4mb to the live cd.

(Always capitalize Linux.)

Comments:

1 week ago

jahid_0903014
This is a necessity...  
2 months ago

FLOWXP
a 100 star !!
how can Linux Mint not have this ?!?!?! YET

1 year ago

prignitzerlandei
A pre-installed "boot-repair" may be a solution?  
1 year ago

user213
Since the live CD also doubles as a rescue cd, (or at least, it does for me), I really like this idea. Though I do not think it should go on the desktop, perhaps under the System Tools menu.  
2 years ago

ElHaj
this is a maintenance procedure not one that should be in a general distro
to fix grub you may use rescatux or super-grub-disk-2
as said in the comments

2 years ago

sajukktheeternal
A five star idea.
I've been using mint for 2 years and until now, I've never been able to fix any grub-related problems at all. Grub legacy was more easy to setup and adjust.

When my grub collapses, the solution I have found is to install a new distro or new version of mint, which detects all partitions and installs a new grub correctly.

I couldn't support the idea more

2 years ago

sunewbie
very useful idea. I have already promoted it but did not leave a comment  
2 years ago

mank_in
good choise, usually when windows partition got corrupt and you must reinstalling windows.  
3 years ago

blueXrider
Things like this are usually an afterthought when a disaster has happened.

The GRUB Boot-Loader can be reinstalled using super-grub-disk found here>
> www.supergrubdisk.org <

Follow these instructions for dual boot machines> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot <

3 years ago

greg84pl
It have to be on live cd in start text menu :)  
3 years ago

robbrown
I hate the fact that windows snobs my grub and I can only boot into windows after a windows install on a Linux Mint machine. Piss's me off that windows but need it for work. I had a bloody hard time the first time it happen.
~~~ AWESOME IDEA 5 Stars ~~

3 years ago

Anubis
You can always burn this to a cd for emergencies: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

Though i think it would be better to have an option in the boot sequence to "boot directly" into existing partitions (in a similar way to supergrubdisk), rather than having to load up the whole livecd/desktop.

3 years ago

LMUCS
Great for me too.
That often usefull if you had some problems during installion.

3 years ago

sayan_acharjee
Great idea. That would be really useful.  
3 years ago

marnix
Nice idea. Of course, make sure the invoker is really made aware of what is going to be done and how it might affect his ability to boot and select an OS. You might want to offer to save the existing boot block(s) on a USB flash drive and allow for restoral from that drive if need be.

3 years ago

Boringbytes
Putting A simple re-install/repair utility for grub on the live/install CD would be very useful, and wouldn't make the ISO a significantly larger download. Good idea  
3 years ago

grim
I agree, this would be amazingly useful!  
3 years ago

bunty-arnab
This necessary. In fact i feel there must be a booting option to reset all settings or repair computer during booting.  
3 years ago

ibm450
great idea!!!  
3 years ago

oi_antz
Oh yes, if we can have such a simple solution to fix the problems of a certain simple M$ decision, that would be fantastic!  
3 years ago

Shostako
It will be very easy and useful. Is a very tedious and boring but necessary task reinstall GRUB after installing a Windows OS.  
3 years ago

shoo_ash
Yes, we really need a much more userfriendly tool for those who get problems with messed up boot, especialy when people are trying dualboot with windows. With options to restore grub, to set default OS, grub-menu options (like image) etc. It would be nice to include such tool (like Startup-manager for chroot /dev/sdaX) to liveiso so that it could be easily found by users.  
3 years ago

cra1g321
ive made a how-to on Reinstalling grub2 using the LiveCD. Have had to do this a few times so thought i would post it up incase anyone was interested.
Heres a link to it - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

Plz vote if you like it.

3 years ago

peileppe
Just got out of a grub related issue after installing mint-10 on a USB stick and wish a "one click reinstall grub" would exist - maybe as an option included in the startupmanager ?  
3 years ago

punkrtekk
I would like to see something like what was in OpenSUSE 11.1 - Live CD displays grub menu and there is under options of booting Linux Mint also option Rescue mode - choose it and boot into the environment where you can choose things like reinstall grub or control integrity of hard drive+repair errors...  
3 years ago

Pierre
YEP - other lesser known 'nix's have this valuable function.

3 years ago

mul14
Yeah, Mandriva already has it long time ago. Easy to repair grub.  
3 years ago

timoto
In the first 2 months of installing Mint, Windows trashed the grub. I was lucky to have support from the Mint forums to get back on track, but it was a less than simple fix. This idea would save worrying about trashing the system further.  
3 years ago

kneekoo
So... no official word on this one? This is quite important for many people who play around with Linux while they're very new to it.  
4 years ago

71KR117
I like this idea, and I also think a Windows app should be made that does the same thing.  
4 years ago

bigfatpanda
I agree with this idea, because many people keep asking about how to fix their grub boot loader after reinstalling the other operating system.  
4 years ago

ichat
best way i can think of would be a textbased setup.

ie: cdboot menu

run live
run live (compatibillity mode)
check dvd for errors
run memtest
repair startup sequence

4 years ago

Rovanion
This is one of the issues that always seems to return to the IRC. People reinstalled Windows or whatnot resulting in GRUB being whiped off the harddrive.

I would suggest that the oneclick install would chroot into the existing Linux environment if so exists and then install GRUB from it, this always brings the best results. If there is no environment to chroot into, do an install from the LiveCD.

4 years ago

ichuot
I hope this idea come true  
4 years ago

SxFlare
Using SuperGrub2 to fix Grub2 is also a big pain, edging onto masochistic.
but that might've also been caused by a few other factors for me, anyway, an easier fix would be nice. Though, I'm not that against reinstalling either, as I'm always prepared for that nowadays.

4 years ago

AgingTechnogeek
I can use terminal for this type of thing, but if a GUI could be included in the live CD/DVD, I would use it and recommend it to new users who have difficulties with Grub 2. This would make life a lot simpler when you break your Grub 2 .  
4 years ago

yepi
Recovering Grub2 has become a pain, Grub was really simple, just boot live cd and install it. To recover Grub to i had to boot live cd and do a series of chroot to directories on my linux partition and after that could i recover it.
It happens all the time that windows needs a fresh install, at least for me, and i really dont want to do this all the time, and option to recover Grub2 would be extremely useful.
+1 for Kneekoo, the title should be friendly for fresh starters.

4 years ago

Godzilla
most people who use linux know what boot is. reguardless we NEED this option what ever you want to call it.  
4 years ago

kneekoo
Most people don't even know what booting is. If there's a way to accomplish this, it would be even better than the suggested boot fixer.

"Fix Linux Mint startup"

That could be the name for the tool behind. If a user chooses that option from the boot menu, a special image should be booted to present the user a startup troubleshooter. This could check the current boot loader and inspect bootable partitions in order to suggest a correct boot loader to replace the current one. The user could check some boxes (bootable operating systems), apply and restart. That would probably be the most efficient way to handle boot issues.

From all I know about Linux, I think this could be done. Am I correct?

4 years ago

Fr3d
I think this idea is on the right track for Live CD grub2 rescue with Mint.
>Boot from live Mint CD
See all installed OS and manually setting some if not detected.
select the new primary one and if compatible launch a terminal connected to that OS.
If Linux then present user with options for managing some grub options and auto mounts etc...
Press Go and reboot the system into grub menue with all the OS listed.

Its a grub 2 development thing really though.

4 years ago

heltonbiker
I found SuperGrubDisk wonderful AFTER I studied a lot and became aware of what exactely meant every step I was taking. But that didn't work when I switched to Linux, and installed XP losing grub, then installed Linux again losing XP mbr... A total mess. And SuperGrub is a bit scary with all that partitioning and formatting and "you must backup now" stuff. +1!!  
4 years ago

Alexio
I voted +1 for this idea, but it is also possible to use the "Super Grub Disk" from within Windows. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows#Using the Unofficial "Super Grub Disk" for the step-by-step guide.  
4 years ago

pokemoncatdog
YES I know of supergrubdisk and I have that, but that is just a way to boot in to you linux install, you stall must use terminal to reinstall gurb to hard drive. Also which super grub disk to use. Super Grub disk 1.2 ---> if you have grub 2, or Auto Super Grub Disk 1.9 Alternate ---> if you have grub. The "nominal use / past windows use" must likely dose not know what version they have and They don't care to take the time to find out.

Plus only needing only one cd is way easer then having to download and bun a seconded one to.

Lets just say said user wants to try linux mint. OK, cool, I am already loving him/her, just because him/her wants to try it. Said user installs linux mint, then finds out that he/she can't play his/her games on LM. So said user go "WHY NOT DUAL BOOT WINDOWS?" He/she installs windows to 2nd partition, grub gets delete. User didn't know its better to install windows first. Users like so how do I get linux to boot now. Lets just say user does not know what grub is in the first place, so use is like if I can't boot linux, then I will just have to stay with windows.

But what if said user know that he must reinstall grub, but does not know how. He/she looks on google, finds over 5 different ways of reinstalling grub with the terminal. Then he/she like fuck this, why is this so fucking complicated, I hare the linux mint was spoused to be easy to use, I think not.

But what if said user is like it can't be that hard and try anyway, but ends up giving up.

And after all that stall does not know what supergrubdisk is.

One click reinstall of grub / grub2 would fix this.

4 years ago

Alexio
www.supergrubdisk.org  

Other ideas from pokemoncatdog