They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Cinnamon adapted to Compiz

Created 2 years ago, edited 2 years ago.
Status changed 2 years ago
Author:

crismblog
Considered
  Score:
31 votes
Idea:

I know Cinnamon benefit effects, but I think it is better if it were adapted to work with Compiz.

Comments:

8 months ago

Infinitas
Rather than make Cinnamon work with Compiz, we should have homegrown effects that are just as good as Compiz (but not the need for it).  
10 months ago

neomaxi
yeah.. i wish cinnomon had the cube option.. or snow or rain option.. or snap windows... miss that..  
1 year ago

zantaz
i hate unity too ...  
2 years ago

talora
Oh, I forgot to mention something important: I HATE UNITY!!! :o)  
2 years ago

talora
It would be really nice, for sure! I've already tried Compiz with Gnome Classic and MATE, but they're not as good as Cinnamon, in my opinion. Even if I run "conpiz --replace" on the Cinnamon environment (on Maya), it works - but the menu and taskbar are gone, and many funcionaties of the system are also gone. That's too bad that Gnome Shell and Compiz seem not to get in agreement on keep the compatibility with each other.

2 years ago

kaddy
I too would like to see Cinnamon work with compiz...
I find compiz to be far more responsive than mutter... this is also why canonical switched Unity from mutter to compiz... remember???

Not only that.. there is a horrible bug where using mutter/muffin with nvidia drivers enabled causes blue screen glitches when screencasting with ffmpeg.... can't see this getting fixed anytime soon... no problems with nvidia/compiz though...

+1 Cinnamon with compiz for compositing....

Maybe forking Unity would have been better to achieve this??? since it's already setup with compiz as compositor..

2 years ago

raneern99
I like compiz but it would be very hard to make cinnamon compatible with compiz and stay based on gnome 3.  
2 years ago

kazztan0325
The problem is that Compiz is buggy, so Unity is likely to be unstable by enabling some features of Compiz.
I think this idea is good, but it would make Mint team work more hard to adapt Compiz to Cinnamon without losing its stability.

2 years ago

quake0
The problem is that Compiz is all but a dead project. Ubuntu Unity is now the only distro using Compiz.  
2 years ago

mikefreeman
I agree. In Gnome 2, you could use any window manager you wanted, pretty much. It was incredibly easy to customize that way. Gnome 3 and Cinnamon are incredibly crippled in this respect.

Compiz brings so much more to the system, both in effects and in additional functionality that just isn't there otherwise. Unfortunately, being based on Gnome 3, this idea might not be very possible to implement in Cinnamon. It's such a shame Gnome buggered up our desktop so much. Some may not like Compiz, but to limit us to not using it at all is just terrible.

Other ideas from crismblog