They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Upload Hardware Info

Created 4 years ago, edited 4 years ago.
Status changed 3 years ago
Author:

Craig
Selected
  Score:
961 votes
Idea:

I'd like to see the ability for people to be able to upload their hardware information logs - using the system profiler and benchmark within Linux Mint.

Comments:

1 month ago

hellwoodfire
Before going to Mint, I did NOT found any of my hardware in the hardware database. This include a desktop, a laptop and a network printer. Several people would have given up at this point! Fortunately, I took the risk and I was pleasantly surprised that everything works. So, my point I that if this idea can improve that quality of the hardware database, it will help Linux and Mint community to grow. This is good!  
2 months ago

Sneaky
I think it's a great idea, the hardware database as it stands right now really is a disaster. It might help in getting linux to run a little better on laptops since it seems desktops are not being sold as much anymore.
as for my laptop I practically have to hold it down to keep it from flying away with the fan blazing at high RPMs.

3 months ago

yezgar25
It is the best way to ensure hardware config!  
3 months ago

CarlPH
Good idea!  
3 months ago

Rocologo
I like the idea. It would properly make the hardware database in the community more "clean". Today it is a mess because people write different words for the same type of hardware.  
4 months ago

HerrDierk
If this data can be used in a positive way, it would lift Mint to a higher level. And we are already on the 95th floor.  
4 months ago

Bl4ck_Fl4g
good idea (y)  
4 months ago

katya
useful idea  
4 months ago

PatH57
also sudo apt-get install lshw lshw-gtk does help  
4 months ago

PatH57
makes life easier when posting to forums  
6 months ago

grandpavangogh
This is a very good idea, could help a lot of people.  
6 months ago

omegaflare
I'm in! KUDOS for this idea!  
7 months ago

rckarrh2
Are you talking about something like pastebin?  
7 months ago

Ariman
useful for stats!  
8 months ago

tatxen
great idea!  
9 months ago

GILINUX
Good idea, but it begins three years ago, is it working ?  
10 months ago

subske
I agree with the mnajority of you.. Think it is a great idea.. :)  
10 months ago

jahid_0903014
great idea!  
1 year ago

3rdedge
It's about time!  
1 year ago

teXew
Good idea,better than manualy description.Voting up  
1 year ago

Craig
Thank you zantaz, Much appreciated. :)  
1 year ago

Craig
Hi TomSands, I think it would be useful for solving a lot of compatibility with different computer hardware - depending on how the developers chose to fine tune each Linux Mint edition to that particular hardware using the information. Sometimes issues can present themselves and I think this would help in making Linux Mint more compatible and well rounded with all sorts of different computer hardware.

That was of course the idea when I submitted it three years ago.

1 year ago

zantaz
this is magic ... god bless You ...  
1 year ago

Old-Dog
How I wish I could send the hardware information on a particular box I'm trying to put Linux on to someone who could look at it and tell me what the problem is. Great idea.  
1 year ago

sserbanro
Systems come and go, since its another kind of fashion.
On the other hand, many tasks can be performed with an "old" computer.
An intranet server, might be very well a P4 (even a Celeron!). For a home network, consisting in 2 - 5 computers, you need a lot of HW info to make them work smoothly.
HW info about what works and what creates what problems, saves many testing/failing hours.

1 year ago

TomSands
i do not see any benefit in this. The user should have explained the purpose for uploading that info...what would that be good for/how would that be useful???  
1 year ago

C3lv1c3
I Agree, but it should be optional  
1 year ago

krds
This is great idea to support for all new and old hardware  
1 year ago

rodney_pc
This would be a great idea, especially if it were an option that each user could implement at thier choosing on install of course anonymously, besides who would care who used what hardware to run which O.S. I would be very interested in seeing such as this implemented so I support the idea.  
1 year ago

SteveFAL
Great idea! To minimize human error, after inputting our HW info, there should be a utility to scan our HW to be sure it concurs with our info (for example my Gateway laptop's sticker & user manual states it has a quad-core "Core i3" CPU when in fact it has a quad "Core i5".)
As well, perhaps you could offer some kind of basic on-line diagnostics to check functioning of pertinent functions since there may be things that not everyone uses (and hence would not know do not work properly).
Of course, all remote detection and testing would be opt-in only and anonymized.
For the record, my Gateway NV59 laptop with Intel Core i5 (NOT i3) CPU works 100% with Mint 13 Nadia/MATE. All the hardware, including the wireless card were detected and work with no problem. Even my old "el-cheapo" Insignia brand external monitor works fine.
--Steve I.

1 year ago

coverturtle
This is helpful for problem-solving and trouble-shooting universally across the internet.  
1 year ago

saintdanbert
I would go farther and have some machine readable (think XML or similar) description of a complete workstation and its hardware as a side effect of
both a live-media run and an install. It might be the case that the installer sees different parts than does the live-media. (If so, someone needs to chase them down.)

This record of hardware could then aid with diagnosis because it would use the preferred identification of components for use to search for drivers or other configuration howto.

1 year ago

HowUpDoHighKnee
We could integrate an automatic uploader (if activated) to complete our Hardware DB  
1 year ago

chuckythegeek
This is a very Good idea.  
2 years ago

Craig
Thanks goes to everyone who voted to get this idea selected. All the best.  
2 years ago

kittu
Great idea for me. It's impossible for me to add my Eurocase Netbook to my hardware.  
2 years ago

hoppimike
Why? o.O  
2 years ago

marfac87
This is a very Good idea.  
2 years ago

quake0
implement this already.  
2 years ago

SLmanDR
Automating the population of the "My Hardware" section is a good idea. Cutting and pasting is ok but an upload of the information sounds cool.  
2 years ago

mrbios
Would show what hardware is most popular and allow mint to be improved to work well with the most popular systems and provide guidence if someone wants to buy or build a system that will have good compatibility with mint.  
2 years ago

MiLeon
Good idea. If a user need support is this a good information  
2 years ago

Thinker
Great idea, specially Benchmark  
2 years ago

fleming746
makes sense, easy for the userand helpful for the developers  
2 years ago

harviak
I think Its a good idea and it will help developers.  
2 years ago

fausto
Good idea, maybe an information (work / not work). Useful when we need to buy a new hardware.  
2 years ago

latinomanz
Yes, as long as it is an option, it is fine with me.  
2 years ago

quake0
As long as its an option, and not manditory.  
2 years ago

MiLeon
Hi! Good idea. Perhaps a hardware information too. that helps the supporters  
2 years ago

thyvon
it would work both ways; choosing new computer as well as vintage possibilities for older comuters. idea tops  
2 years ago

IndridCold
If I had easy access to this information when I bought my laptop, I would have based my choice of brand/model on its compatibility to Linux. I think it would also motivate people to try Mint if they know their specific model was tested successfully by others.  
2 years ago

extramint
I love it  
2 years ago

Craig
Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone, hope you all have a good Christmas.  
2 years ago

cr3bits
The checkbox-gtk application uploads hardware information and test results to Launchpad which have recently been made available on http://results-tracker.ubuntu.com. You'll even notice some results for the linuxmint project at the bottom left of the landing page. The site also provides an extensive API used to develop http://friendly.ubuntu.com but could equally be used to replace http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware  
2 years ago

Simeon
It is very good end praktikal idea.  
2 years ago

merelyjim
It would be nice to check against a database to see if my new laptop could run Mint before I buy. Need to redact user and ISP info, though...  
3 years ago

ServiceWeasel
I was about to post the same the same idea, I think it could help with the development of drivers and other hardware related issues  
3 years ago

blueXrider
OMG! Thank you, thank you and thank you!  
3 years ago

burrina
Would probably be too labor intensive.Mint's success is due to simplicity.  
3 years ago

Bribhoy
Xlent idea. Knowing your hardware would work just might make some people give Mint a try.  
3 years ago

dsfairplaine
Do it!  
3 years ago

oscar799
Idea put forward for consideration.  
3 years ago

blueXrider
Well its been another month. Where are our moderators?  
3 years ago

andrew5859
Other distros have that option to be able to upload the hardware info upon the completion of installation....Mandriva was one and I think OpenSuse was the other...might want to consider this  
3 years ago

sarkone
This is a very useful idea. Will make it easier to file bug reports and can be extended for diagnostic analysis of the system.  
3 years ago

RavS
Yeah, it will automate the hassle of uploading hardware info and can be useful for others.

+1.

3 years ago

nikos23
no dvd movie play or linux??  
3 years ago

peeks
Good idea, it has my vote  
3 years ago

sigurd1701
Very good idea. Should be even easy to implement, because most needed features are there.
Only add a "I want to suppport the development and agree to the transmission of (anonymous?!) harware and efficiency detection" in the Control Center and at install procedure. From psychology it's better at install, because there are no personal data on the system yet. So people might agree easier. But also give those a chance to change their mind later.

3 years ago

Craig
Thanks to all you guys for supporting this idea. Lets keep it up and make Clem and co notice this! :)  
3 years ago

blueXrider
Nice idea, too bad it won't happen  
3 years ago

Okkarator
That would solve the problem to decide, what "Type" the hardware is. There are a lot of false entrys in the hardware database!
A great idea :)

3 years ago

JohanSJA
@ibm450 , do you mind to share more about the option that existed on Pardus 2011?  
3 years ago

kip-
what a idea!  
3 years ago

Sonsum
It sounds like it could be useful for diagnostic purposes  
3 years ago

frank_claessen
the information hardinfo gives would be pretty complete ...  
3 years ago

dchef
theres one in my places/myhardware.  
3 years ago

tohaboy
I'm waiting...  
3 years ago

andybnj
excellent idea  
3 years ago

Likiteasy
good idea  
3 years ago

ibm450
oops forgot to mention, this option is already present in Pardus2011  
3 years ago

ibm450
well, is anything going to be done about this ? it was suggested like 1 YEAR ago.  
3 years ago

elhijodelpeje
I understand that "Live CD's" are here to try the OS without any change to your computer, and so far, all ubuntu based distros I have tested, have proven to work with all the hardware of all the desktops and notebooks I've tried them on (lots of them), except for the need to download and ativate detected proprietary drivers like nvidia or brodcom. I even carry a full installation on a 16GB USB flash memory stick, which have worked in all of my friends computers who can boot from USB, to whom I am moving to linux Mint, something you cannot do on windows without getting a blue screen with hardware or driver change errors. So, I would like to see people testing with live CD's before wondering if their hardware will work or not....!!!!  
3 years ago

Agentkiller4
Hmm, I may want to see what I can do about this! =]  
3 years ago

prativasic
Thats a very nice idea.  
3 years ago

DaneAU
This is a good idea, to know what hardware is used. Also handy if it could automatically update profiles  
3 years ago

Shabakthanai
Excellent idea.  
3 years ago

maxmir
It seems to me that there are two very different types of hardware information which are used in two very different ways.

At the component level such as for "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" I am interested in knowing that it requires external firmware, that after installation the system will notify me of this, and how to enable it if it doesn't.

At the computer level I want to know whether Mint will work or not on a particular machine. However with many ways of naming machines, and changes of components over time or countries without a change in model name/number, the quality and utility of the data is poor. Smolt has been mentioned, but are 'System manufacturer' and 'Unknown' really the 2nd and 4th top vendors?

I should end with a conclusion but it's time to pick the young'un up from school ...

3 years ago

edwintel
oke now it works after installing it with a second monitor. ;-)  
3 years ago

edwintel
Would be verry handy, HP Elitebook 8740w does not work ;-(((  
3 years ago

Tonya
Great idea! It should be marked as Mint Hardware Database or Mint Compatibility Database. It will be very helpful for both users and Mint developers.  
3 years ago

FabienWang
Would be really useful to see percentages of processors, gpu etc.  
3 years ago

tatsujin79
good idea, how about something like smolt http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/ perhaps with added functionality to show how to get individual hardware to work better?  
3 years ago

soulsclerosis
Excellent idea! Would be very handy.  
3 years ago

Jesus
hi... i would like know if that is possible, also the capabilities like LizardGame, i mean i have a broadcom wireless card and with ubuntu 10.10 to now doesn´t work, so if anybody can use it plase can help to everybody  
3 years ago

WSiaB
@LizardGamer - I would be less interested in comparing my AMD x64, 4GB ... (never mind, j/k).

This would be great to find problems with certain hardware and see items that do work well. Especially if you later integrated the ability to solicit feedback on hardware found in the system.

3 years ago

LizardGamer
I like that idea, trying to beat your friends in speed, 2d/3d graphics, memory and other tests like that in your computer/laptop!!!!

Just like on Windows!!!!

3 years ago

neo67
@ibm450 Which application use Pardus for that? Because you need also the backend and import/export scripts to handle the data.
At this website there is already a little hardware database, which is manually filled by the users.
I will be good to see, which kernel modules are load successful (and which kernel). So, you are able to back close to the hardware, which runs at the systems.

3 years ago

kanha
very nice idea  
3 years ago

mar1
Excellent idea; with proper linking to pages discussing a specific hardware info in the community the forum will get a boost and a better structure. Imagine you have on your own account, all links and information about your hardware.. simple and powerful.  
3 years ago

achiele
Excellent  
3 years ago

kattaboomman
i do  
3 years ago

sijtom0703
This will be a great initiative since the major bottleneck which prevents more people from migrating to linux from windows and mac is the hardware compatibility. This will enhance open source community to write more harware specific drivers.  
3 years ago

skypeace
Excellent, agree whole heartedly.  
3 years ago

skypeace
3 years ago

skypeace
3 years ago

skypeace
3 years ago

ibm450
yep good idea, Pardus 2011 gives the user this option  
3 years ago

chumvi
it great to what i can say  
3 years ago

digitsm
Yeah! I've an issue with Linux Mint 10, which I guess it comes from my hardware configuration.
You can see more information here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=64016&p=368282

3 years ago

paro1991
The idea is to have a larger user base and eventually grow as an OS that can surpass Ubuntu. That's at least what I think Mint should have on its mind. So pulling information from Debian and Ubuntu wouldn't be productive in such a venture.

What should be proposed is using this idea and combining it with the current community feature for "My Hardware" where we can rate how well the hardware performs with Mint and any problems that might be encountered. Currently I think the implementation of "My Hardware" is not that great do to the dropdown box style. If all the information was pulled directly from the user's system, the fields would already be populated and the user would only have to input their experience with performance and issues. Also, if a problem were reported, any other individual with that hardware would be notified of a potential problem in their hardware too.

Currently if you try it out, you can find a failure in organization and structure in the implementation of the current feature.

3 years ago

ataq
I wouldn't really see the point in doing this as such, because Mint is based on Debian and Ubuntu, Wasting time on hardware updates would seem pointless. As information can be retrieved from Debian and Ubuntu on this matter.  
3 years ago

foggytown
agree  
3 years ago

kingansari
Excellent Idea  
3 years ago

KehlBellrose
very like it! :D  
3 years ago

grim
This would make things easier I think :D  
3 years ago

Sol_Badguy
Excellent idea...  
3 years ago

ishant
i like it  
3 years ago

leopardox
Promoted, good idea.  
3 years ago

akash211
This is very good idea for people who want to switch to linux. They can there hardware is perfectly working wint mint or not.  
3 years ago

ceciput14
It very good idea..other than that you also can see the latest statistics hardware and compare it with you hardware. I promote it.  
3 years ago

istojanovic
ATI RADEON MOBILITY HD 5730
Very difficult !

3 years ago

Shostako
Useful idea, I promote it.  
3 years ago

izennig
It would be usefull, problably in statistics. We could see what type of hardware is more used.  
3 years ago

Ki3rk3gaard
it'll be there .... be patient...  
3 years ago

nightwalker
I agree. Helpful.  
3 years ago

guv999
Very good idea - will really help new users  
3 years ago

DiGiTaL-CORE
I don't help much, but I'd be glad too. Something like this could be handy for both Linux Mint developers and users. This is a great idea.  
3 years ago

kensb2
I agree. As a new Linux user, I'd like to be able to see what other people's systems are made up of on the hardware end, which version of the OS their using (32 or 64-bit), and what they do with it. I think this would go a long way to helping me decide where to spend my money when I do my next *NEW* computer build!  
3 years ago

aiacomp
Good idea !  
3 years ago

Boringbytes
I don't know anything about hardware information logs, but a module that lets you chose to automatically upload selected Hardware information to the website would help everyone. Those who didn't want to use it wouldn't have to bother with it at all, and those who did could provide the information they had chosen accurately and easily. The means to add user comment to the scan results before upload would be needed.  
3 years ago

tpapastylianou
There's an app in the ubuntu repositories called 'checkbox-gtk' (System Testing) which does just that: it performs a bunch of tests on your system, collects information, and allows you to upload it to all ubuntu, along with your own comments per test (i.e. if it worked or not). Ubuntu has been collecting information like this for years. I think it's installed by default on ubuntu (although the box might be unchecked in the application menu). Don't know why it's not installed by default on mint, like in ubuntu.  
3 years ago

johnnyp
I've been saying this for years ... what would be cooler is if the database could be built that had all of the hardware that works perfectly under linux and someone with a windows or mac computer could go to a website click a button that said check my computer and get a green light or a list of hardware conflicts that needed to be fixed before a linux install  
3 years ago

Gecko
Good!  
3 years ago

sonic4spuds
This could save time for users, allowing them to contribute with minimal effort. Also would probably increase community participation.  
3 years ago

ferniez
Great idea!  
3 years ago

lysandrew1
Super pomysł popieram  
3 years ago

eren
An excellent idea...  
3 years ago

rick1959
A GREAT idea worthy of great support!!! The community needs all the input it can get and this will help!!  
3 years ago

hershchoc
Good idea, as long as it is left to the user to send said info.  
3 years ago

Ki3rk3gaard
The ability to upload and share our existential situation does sound keen .  
3 years ago

Lexux
Great idea.. :)  
3 years ago

udana071
yes... it'll very useful 4 every1...  
3 years ago

damien-tt
Such a feature can speed up development, aid in diagnosis and provide useful information. Thumbs up. :)  
3 years ago

A_Linux_User
Good idea.

However, in my opinion, the ideal situation would be a module that, after installation, asks the user if he wants to send his hardware info.

3 years ago

punkrtekk
Totally, it would speed up development and also give some imagination about HW compatibility for potential new users who now have Windows and are afraid that for example their webcam won't work...  
3 years ago

duraiyuvaraj
It is a great idea for future course of action  
3 years ago

fistank
supreme idea...helps people see what works  
4 years ago

groenator
Great idea!  
4 years ago

m4daredsun
Great idea! Would be of great help for both developers and users  
4 years ago

zaenal1234
this idea very good, for compatibility a hardware with software linux-mint.  
4 years ago

tushargok
I agree and it should be via tool so that mint can maintain a unique catalog of hardware compatibility profiles for future reference. It should be also marked with Mint version.  
4 years ago

jessie0514
Nice one! This will be helpful especially for those newbies like me.  
4 years ago

Laan
Great idea!  
4 years ago

Sonic
Great idea, I like it!  
4 years ago

shantorn
I work in the help channel some and this would be great info to help people.  
4 years ago

tanmays
Nice idea. It would help the developers solve common hardware problems.  
4 years ago

davidwpoe
Great idea! Most issues newbies have revolve around hardware issues upon installation, so this would give the community more information about what is working or not working.  
4 years ago

wanda
Very practical idea.  
4 years ago

davedarkblade
The better thing is a module. When you finished the installation a module prompted you if you want send your hardware info.  
4 years ago

timloyal
Would be great for team solving what went wrong.  
4 years ago

Tar-Minyatur
That could easily be solved using inxi I think. It already aggregates most of the available information. Maybe a small GUI would be helpful to make it more accessible to the user.  
4 years ago

andym3
Would be very useful for troubleshooting and would simplify the life of new users.  
4 years ago

fireprince1
Nice idea..just make sure the information is details enough for troubleshooting..and are presentable like astra32 or everest..  
4 years ago

baffle-boy
sounds good, this way people could use it as a tool to help each other, and maybe developers could draw some usefull info from it.

also i second all that keyneom said.

4 years ago

newchieng
Very practical idea.  
4 years ago

LinuxWiz83
I would also like this and a very awesome idea!!!!  
4 years ago

ch3mik
It was my first thoughts in hardware tab in profile :)
Promote

4 years ago

mikefreeman
Excellent! +1  
4 years ago

ichuot
that's great idea!  
4 years ago

SxFlare
This could possibly be used to standardize the list of compatible hardware too  
4 years ago

plaguethenet
Indeed, Build some sort of System summary and performance score. Allow user to make comments on what does/does not work and upload a breakdown of devices. Wonderful suggestion imho :)  
4 years ago

thx1138
Very good idea. This will improve our hardware database automagically ;).  
4 years ago

AndrewX192
Sounds like a great idea, and it could even help people find computers that score good in benchmarks and have good hardware support.  
4 years ago

keyneom
I think this would be good, I think it would be good if we could include this as part of the installer, that way when a new install was done you could have it update your community profile, e.g. hardware info and version of Mint used, etc. also to make it possible to join the community website through the installer, this would help give a better idea of how many users Mint has etc. I really think this would be of huge benefit to the Mint Community and the distro overall.  
4 years ago

scarface94
Something like this would make it so much easier to help people on the forums as well, great idea.  
4 years ago

kneekoo
I am promoting this idea as well. It would be very nice to simplify things. Many people don't even add their hardware to this community because it takes some time. If some tool would do at least half of this jobs, things would get easier. :)  
4 years ago

Marcus
Using Smolt to upload hardware profiles to the community page would perhaps be a good solution.

Additional information (component works / does not work) could be added manually.

4 years ago

pbmuk
I like this too. Would be a very useful resource for bug hunting  
4 years ago

design1
I like the idea - it would, perhaps, be useful for learning why certain things don't work on one's own machine.  
4 years ago

frolic
Ok.  
4 years ago

pazuzuthewise
Agree  
4 years ago

linuxmint
Good idea! Promoted.  
4 years ago

JMMR
I agree with this idea, I think it should be like Fedora's Smolt. I have tried Hardware4Linux also which uses hdreport to profile your hardware and then allows you to upload the Hardware Profile where you may give an overall status and comments.  
4 years ago

Fr3d
Oops.. I just posted something very similar. HDST. Anyway good Idea. Glad someone thought of it first.  
4 years ago

Vidar
Excellent idea.  
4 years ago

hamburn
looks like a good thing  
4 years ago

heltonbiker
Saves a lot of work for sure  
4 years ago

Mdyter
add my agree To.. it can happen that user doesn't know how to add hardware info in the right way  
4 years ago

Craig
Glad you agree.  
4 years ago

remoulder
This might be a better idea than users entering the information themselves which is error prone and inaccurate.  
4 years ago

Hammeh
I agree, good idea.  
4 years ago

Craig
Would be useful I think for this website.  

Other ideas from Craig