They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Easy way to install cinnamon extensions

Created 2 years ago, edited 2 years ago.
Status changed 2 years ago
Author:

raneern99
Implemented
  Score:
40 votes
Idea:

I think that there should be an easy way to install Cinnamon themes, applets, and extensions. I have seen many topics regarding trouble installing applets on the forums. I know that there is bimsebasse's ppa, but even that is kind of hard to do for very inexperienced users. I think that there should be an automated way to install cinnamon applets (similar to extensions.gnome.org with the on/off switch) or there should be a section in, for example, the software manager for cinnamon themes, applets, and extensions.

Comments:

1 year ago

chiec
An installer for themes and extensions/applets should be very helpfull, downloading a .tar and selecting it from the installer so you don't have to use the console.  
1 year ago

geoffm
I think Gnome 3's way of managing extension should definitely inspire cinnamon's developpers. It is much better in many ways. There is no separate "activate extensions" window with a "get new extensions" link. When opening the extension manager, it goes to the extensions web site. All the extensions are presented there with a toggle switch. There's isn't even a need to install, then activate. You just click it and it installs the extension. Want to deactivate/remove an extension? Open the page and click the switch.  
1 year ago

archisoft6
I think it is better to install applets, etc. from the respective sections of Cinnamon Settings. But the section in the program manager would also be good.  
2 years ago

DestinFaroda
More GUI and easier handling? Yes!  
2 years ago

LexMK
@crismblog 's link was a tutorial on how to install them via apt/software manager like regular packages, now 404'd. Should post another link, if you found it. Install them via software manager seems like a good idea for now, until a better tool is made. Cinnamon's PPA should be enabled by default.  
2 years ago

fleming746
An excellent next step for cinnamon and btw I really like the new desktop. Great work and thanks  
2 years ago

blackoutworm
Agreed, like drag-and-drop or "install" from right-click menu when you right click the downloaded theme, applet or extension .  
2 years ago

sunewbie
I too agree. Maybe a pop up appears immediately after fresh installation  
2 years ago

crismblog
Este o idee buna. It would be nice to be able to make an easy installation.
But to be implemented Clem idea can be made from PPA.

Look here http://crismblog.eu/english/programs/cinnamon-themes-applets-and-extensions-ppa-repository/

2 years ago

raneern99
@kazztan0325
Ok, thanks

2 years ago

kazztan0325
@raneern99:
You need not say sorry.
I think we can post ideas/suggestions relating to Cinnamon/MATE to this Ideas Module.

2 years ago

raneern99
I'm sorry. Where would be an appropriate place to post ideas for it?

2 years ago

remoulder
Given that cinnamon is a separate project and cross-distro, I don't believe this is the appropriate place to suggest ideas relating to it.  

Other ideas from raneern99