They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Include all the language packs in the DVD/CD

Created 1 year ago, edited 1 year ago.
Status changed 1 year ago
Author:

Adnaann
Considered
  Score:
16 votes
Idea:

By including all the language packs by default in to the installation DVD/CD , installation time will be reduced by 50% for ppl with slow connections, rather than downloading while installation. It is a better design decision to include them In The installation medium

Saves time For installing Linux mint

Helps out ppl with slow connections or no connection at all

Comments:

1 year ago

kazztan0325
@Adnaann:
Oh, really?
If then, why we have to download and install language pack(s) with "Language Support" when we would like to add another/other language(s) to our system?
Hmm..., it is very strange.

1 year ago

Adnaann
@kazztan0325

i know that i downlaoded all of the language packs as when it was downloading them it was showing under the download bar that which langauage pack is being downloaded at the moment .

1 year ago

kazztan0325
@Adnaann:
> it downloads all the other language packs

How did you know that?
At least about Japanese, I have to install Japanese language pack with "Language Support".

1 year ago

Adnaann
@vincenty  installer downloads all the language packs while in between the installation , even know that user has selected english as the default language it downloads all the other language packs.  
1 year ago

Adnaann
@vincenty u mentioned about the tutorial and stuff , i guess u didnt get the issue , anyone can do that but most user want an out of box experience thats why they choose LINUX MINT  
1 year ago

Adnaann
@abnvolk  not askin to include all the packs in the installation media , and even if they do installation media is a DVD image ,

just wanted to show you experience users that its a waste of time to download in between the install process, download only the language the person chooses and download rest at first restart .
i hope i made myself clear this time.

1 year ago

Adnaann

I guess most of the people who discussed the issue didnt grasp the real issue perfectly ,

the real issue is the downloading of unneeded language packs during the installation .

that downloading can be deferred but for some silly reason its not , and it makes the whole installation process a lot more time consuming .

@ vincenty u mentioned about the tutorial and stuff , i guess u didnt get the issue , anyone can do that but most user want an out of box experience thats why they choose LINUX MINT

1 year ago

abnvolk
Demoting. There is a tutorial on how to localize a Mint ISO.
Adding many languages pack would increase the ISO size a lot,

1 year ago

ElHaj

would including the language packs make browsing documents with the live cd easier for non English docs???
for this is the major problem I face when introducing Mint to friends.

1 year ago

keres
Only the most used lenguage packs, p.e. English, Spanish, Chinese, etc...  
1 year ago

wackyseb
Actually, i create for all version a custom mint DVD with my language (french)with Mintconstructor software but when i installed it on a computer, Firefox and Thunderbird connect to internet to download language support !! Please consider this idea to have all language on a DVD and a simply tool to change this.
Thank a lot

Great idea

1 year ago

Adnaann
@LexMK On a logical note we select the language at install , so the scenario where user wontfind his desired language at first boot is not true , the more decent approaches are

1. Include all in the DVD (use ultra high compression to save size) but as we are on DVD I THINK SIZE IS NOT AN ISSUE

2. Do it like windows 7 , give user the option to download other language they desire after they completely install LINUX MINT

1 year ago

LexMK
I know that someone will point out that this would make the DVD heavier etc.etc. because I have seen ideas like this one discussed many times, but may I ask: how much heavier would it get? Are we talking 20-30 mb or more?  

Other ideas from Adnaann