They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Raspberry PI and Mint

Created 1 year ago, edited 1 year ago.
Status changed 1 year ago
Author:

InactiveX
Considered
  Score:
10 votes
Idea:

Is there any movement on developing a cut down Mint for the Rbaspberry PI if not I think there really would be some mileage in this. 'Wheezy' Debian does run fine - I use it, but it would be good to have a Mint version and then to develop some Mint specific networking apps. A pi specfic software manager would be absolutely excellent with a pre-built version of xbmc.

Comments:

1 year ago

InactiveX
Just to add to this. I took very early retirement a year or so ago after working for a host of major blue chips. Since then I have been doing ad hoc stuff and recently pretty much all of this has been on the PI. I would be happy to give some of my time and expertise to the Mint dev team if they are interested in a port to the PI.  
1 year ago

InactiveX
Well I suppose it depends on how you look at this. I am a developer and work with Mint all the time.It supports everything from Gambas through sql to C++ so from a programming side of things I dont see your point. Also catch them young and they are more likely to stay. Ubuntu will be the defacto standard so its not a question of the old choice between OS and MS its about which version of Linux they will grow up with. The chances of them using Mint later in life are so much greater than if they use another distro. Oh wait a momnent I see your point DuckDuckGp will put them off !  
1 year ago

Hammer459
Sorry @InactiveX but the fact that Google provides it too schools to promote programming actually makes it less of a target as Mint is primarily an end user desktop OS with no focus on development.
I do not doubt that PI is a great device with lots of potential. I can see many great uses but not as an end user general purpose box....

1 year ago

InactiveX
The PI really is taking the UK by storm. Some big boys are starting to play with it and there is a version of android about to be released. I have several pi's - acting as mail servers, web servers and even an ldap server - all running wheezy. There are a great many commercial applications coming on stream for this great little box and I do think it would be foolish to dismiss it as a device for a small development market.  
1 year ago

InactiveX
Its an excellent piece of kit. The irony here is that Google announced today that they would be providing 15,000 pi's free of charge to UK schools to encourage computer programming. I reckon this is one massive market for Mint

1 year ago

telcnas
Just one thing, I would like to share this video link with everyone who may have not seen this so far:
Parellel Computing Using Raspberry PI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq5nrHz9I94

Its a good one ...... :) :)

1 year ago

telcnas
@InactiveX all I just want to say is a big thanks to you as I was not aware of this awesome Rbaspberry PI thing before.......thanks a lot....:) surely I would love to have what you just suggested but again I also agree with what @Hammer459 just mentioned....

And before all this I would like to have Rbaspberry PI in my pocket --- 25$...hehehehe :)..

1 year ago

Hammer459
I doubt that the work required to create a working Mint on a PI is justified by the potential market benefit. Mint is specifically a desktop OS for the average user. PI is an experimental and educational HW platform and not intended for normal DT usage. Add to that that the Mint development team is very small and I personally do not see a PI-version of Mint any time soon :-)
PI is a cool HW platform though :-)

Other ideas from InactiveX