They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Horizontal Icon Grid

Created 1 year ago, edited 1 year ago.
Status changed 1 year ago
Author:

Ironclad
Under dev. review
  Score:
33 votes
Idea:

For those who are unsure what I'm talking about, you'll notice in any desktop environment on any Linux distribution (I've ever come across) that there are no options to align your icons in both directions. You can align them to keep columns from overlapping sideways, but there are no horizontal grids to keep things aligned and spaced properly. Folders and icons end up overlapping or the top of an icon will cover the label under another icon.

Some people think this idea is outdated, unnecessary or for some other reason don't care for it to be integrated. For them, there could easily be an option to disable it, as there is for the current alignment options. However, there are still those Linux users who would like to see this feature integrated in to Linux desktop environments. I can count myself among those users; I like to have a lot of folders for various reasons. It helps keep things organized on the desktop. For people like us there are still no option to simply enable a grid to keep things from overlapping or to keep them organized.

I think, at least in some desktop environment, to see this become a standard option. I would love to see a feature like this in the Cinnamon settings, or in the right-click menu on the desktop where the "Keep Aligned" option would automatically align icons in both directions. Hopefully other people, especially developers, will realize this at some point in time.

Thank you for reading,
Ironclad

Comments:

4 months ago

aadi123
This needs to be a thing, Linux Mint needs to make sure that my desktop icons don't overlap all the time and it is very VERY annoting  
1 year ago

Ash243x
I am baffled as to why this is not standard... Promoting because it's such an obviously needed function. What is even the point of the "align" setting if it only aligns in 1 dimension? Yes I'm new to linux, but I think such a basic feature that's been around in literally all other GUI's ever made would be present in Linux; and especially Mint where you are usually looking at the desktop anyway.  
1 year ago

Ironclad
@wilo108 I am pretty sure it is, I assumed that since Nemo is part of Cinnamon that it could be categorized with either. Really it would be nice to see in any of the desktops, not just Cinnamon.  
1 year ago

anandrkris
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=115411 - Brought me here and going by the popular opinion - promoting it.  
1 year ago

wilo108
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/108  
1 year ago

wilo108
this will need to be addresses in nemo rather than cinnamon, since it's nemo that handles the icons on the desktop, right?  
1 year ago

Ironclad
@geoffm It works but it only keeps them in columns. They overlap/don't align if you try what I describe in the post above (moving icons and folders up or down).  
1 year ago

geoffm
Oh it aligns them vertically? I thought the "keep aligned" feature just didn't work.  
1 year ago

Hammer459
Ido not know for sure @telcnas but I do agree that it is for all intetnts a bug.
I think that it should be obvious that icon spacing should be present.
@Ironclad the reason that I found Mint was the event of Gnome shell that made Fedora completely useless :-) I use the desktop, just as I use the "real" desktop to put things I am working on.

1 year ago

Ironclad
@hammer459 I will try that also. Thanks. Though nothing goes on the desktop in Gnome 3 by default (which is one of the reasons I don't use it), Cinnamon does have it by default, and other desktop settings to suit it. Same with XFCE, LXDE and others. It's just really inconvenient for people who use the desktop a lot. :/  
1 year ago

telcnas
@Hammer459 But we already have this concept of icon spacing, only the thing is, it only applies in vertical fashion....so why not to have this thing horizontally as well???

In Gnome 3 we know that icons not get displayed on desktop so in that case excluding such concept of spacing icon in horizontal or vertical manner makes complete sense. Now even though Cinnamon is based on Gnome-shell, they already included the concept of vertical spacing, so why they prevented icons getting aligned in horizontal fashion as well????

It seems like a bug to me now.....

1 year ago

telcnas
sounds logical and makes complete sense....promoting.... :)  
1 year ago

Hammer459
This is a problem as of Gnome 3 due to the fact that in Gnome Shell you are prevented from even putting anythig at all on desktop. Thus the developers of Gnome (that is the base of Cinnamon) likely see no need for icon spacing :-)

I promote the idea but you should post it at https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Other ideas from Ironclad

No other ideas.