Gnu nano is an easy-to-use text editor originally designed as a replacement for pico, the ncurses-based editor from the non-free mailer package pine (itself now available under the apache license as alpine).
however, nano also implements many features missing in pico, including:
- feature toggles;
- interactive search and replace (with regular expression support);
- go to line (and column) command;
- auto-indentation and color syntax-highlighting;
- filename tab-completion and support for multiple buffers;
- full internationalization support.