HOW TO INSTALL THE ATI DRIVER FOR A HD 5XXX AND ABOVE

crushkittykitty
  11 years ago

<style type="text/css"> <!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!--{cke_protected}{C}<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->--> </style>

The first thing we need to do is make sure that any old drivers are removed. The following commands will remove the old drivers.you may reciever errors its ok we are just making sure we remove all the old

--  sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
--   sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx

ok reboot

Ok Now we are ready to start installing the driver

go here and grab the driver you would like to use, for me this is the 12.11 beta do to the fact I use HDMI for sound.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Once the driver is downloaded, extract it. you should now have the driver

in my case amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run

right click on the file go to

properties then to permissions click the box “Allow executing file as program”

close that window.

Open a Terminal and type sudo  and drag and drop the driver in the terminal hit enter

there will be a new window open pick the top option in the next 2 screens

Now when it is done it will ask to reboot, DO NOT REBOOT YET.

Just close the program.

In the terminal type sudo aticonfig --initial

when aticonfig is done reboot.

After rebooting you should be running your new driver.

You can type sudo amdcccle to run the catylist

Now for those that installed the BETA DRIVER,

After rebooting you should have the AMD WATERMARK

To remove this water mark there is 2 methods the first method works for most

copy and paste this code into gedit and then save to your desktop.

#!/bin/sh
DRIVER=`find /usr/lib -name fglrx_drv.so`

echo "Thanks AZUSA!"

for token in $DRIVER;do
 echo "Removing AMD logo from "$token

for x in $(objdump -d $DRIVER|awk '/call/&&/EnableLogo/{print "\\x"$2"\\x"$3"\\x"$4"\\x"$5"\\x"$6}'); do
  sed -i "s/$x/\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90/g" $DRIVER
 done
done

echo "Reboot computer to finish"

Now that you have the above code saved to your desktop as you did for the driver make the file executable (right click on the file go to properties then to permissions click the box “Allow executing file as program”) . Then open terminal and type sudo and drag and drop the file into the terminal hit enter, when it has completed reboot.

Watermark should be gone. If you still see a water mark try option 2

2nd option

open a terminal and type sudo “your text editor” /ect/ati/signature, So in my case

sudo gedit /etc/ati/signature

the file that opens should have one word in it “UNSIGNED” just delete that and copy and paste this in the file and save.

9777c589791007f4aeef06c922ad54a2:ae59f5b9572136d99fdd36f0109d358fa643f2bd4
a2644d9efbb4fe91a9f6590a145:f612f0b01f2565cd9bd834f8119b309bae11a1ed4a2661c
49fdf3fad11986cc4f641f1ba1f2265909a8e34ff1699309bf211a7eb4d7662cd9f8e3faf14986
d92f646f1bc

once you have saved the file reboot and watermark should be gone.

And that is how to install a AMD ATI DRIVER please if I missed anything let me know or if you need additional help there is a good source of help on the irc. If your in mint just open xchat the channel is #linuxmint-help

I also made a video showing the above steps as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2X4cA4A7OY

there is a new driver for the ati card driver 13.1 and it does have the HDMI support

I would now use the latest driver to remove the above driver please use this command since we changed the install of the ati driver to get rid of the watermark

sudo '/usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh' --force

then install as above :)

here is the new video that goes along with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTqtdP-K06w

Comments
johnniedoo 9 years ago

I can not get the first uninstall command to work..it says can not open, then the 2nd command says all are gone, not there.
although it says here there could be an error message, I went along.
I got the driver for latest stable CCC to start the install process but stopped right away saying there was a prior driver still there. I could force or overwrite but really couldnt since it quit. i wouldnt anyway
I am now stuck trying to get the 14.4 stable catalyst out. not a big deal i guess, though I am running a good gpu 7900 hd sapphire and overclock it on the windows side. too bad this isnt easier to make happen in linux, or I knew the different methods or work arounds...very frustrating
good step by step ,if it only worked on my system. nothing odd in it-dont think so, anyway.

Leb1 11 years ago

Worked on installing 12.11 drivers on my AMD APU with embedded Radeon 6320. Thanks (aliabbas)