Updating a BIOS on a Linux PC
Here's what I did to update the BIOS on my Linux Mint PC (I did have a Windows XP virtual machine).
- Downloaded and installed HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64963-page,1/description.html
- Downloaded a Win98 iso from here http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html
- Mounted the iso in in the vm as a CD (there are other ways to do this I'm sure)
- Plugged in the USB stick
- Ran HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to create a system disk and pointed the wizard to the CD (or iso) for the system files
- Added my .exe BIOS file
- Booted the usb stick and ran the BIOS update
Created: 2 years ago.
Last edited: 2 years ago.
Read 1191 times.
|2 years ago||
This isn't a BIOS update in a Linux PC, it is a pseudo-Windows98 LiveUSB with a BIOS updater in it.
But it's a good idea for people who don't use Windows.