How to change grub background color

sagit2002
  8 years ago

If you are going through this tutorial means that you are fed up with default black background color of the grub. In this tutorial I will show you how to change the background color to ubuntu default grub background color that is purple.

Only a few steps are required to accomplish the task.

So fire your terminal and open the file using your favourite text editor.

:~ sudo vim /lib/plymouth/themes/default.grub

A file will open with following code / lines.

if background_color 0,0,0; then
  clear
fi

Now 0,0,0 in the above code indicates black color. To change the color to purple change the digits to the value 40,0,30. You can mix and match to select a different color using a color picker and put the value against your selected color.

Run the following command from terminal to update grub

:~ sudo update-grub

Finally

:~ sudo reboot now

and check the background color of grub has changed to your taste or not

Enjoy.

Please comment / share and upvote if you like this short tutorial

Comments
ElvireRazie 7 years ago

Nice, I was looking for it for 2 hours

desperado24 8 years ago

after typing this:~ sudo vim /lib/plymouth/themes/default.grub
it says vim command not found what to do.......

Rebel450 8 years ago

@lucjax !
THANK YOU - you made my day ;-)
=
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
=
YEP!

@sagit2002:
Still a good tutorial though :-)

lucjax 8 years ago

Grub-Customizer is great tool for this as well, you can change all sorts of stuff with it.

logiciel-espion 8 years ago

Thanks for you clear tutorial !

Hammer459 8 years ago

Finally someone gave me an answer that makes sense :-)

I do spend time on making my DE look the way I want, but the 5-15 seconds that the boot splash is visible does not make sense to me. But at least I got an answer to why it does for some.

And the tutorial is still good ;-)

Rebel450 8 years ago

@MagicMint:
This coin was made especially for Hammer459;
of course - you are not ... incompatible ;-)

@Hammer459:
I want to think you are happy now after all this time,
because finally you do know ? :-|

@lib2know:
some of us do PARTY all the time, like Statler & Waldorf... :-)

@sagit2002:
sweet How2, thank you :-)

MagicMint 8 years ago

@Hammer459: I know your standpoint, but I’ve got two reasons for this kind of work personally:

• I like user interfaces which are visually appealing from the beginning;

• I do spend more than 3 seconds in the boot screen, because in my configuration, I have no choice but to use grub’s password feature for some boot items.

MagicMint 8 years ago

@Rebel450: Simply put, creativity has various forms ;-) But as far as I’m concerned, I don’t even consider them incompatible…

MagicMint 8 years ago

@sagit2002: A good idea, aptly converted to a valuable tutorial. I’d recommend to change the font too, but that’s a little bit trickier.

However, it should be kept in mind that changes in the /lib directory are not permanent, so that any update of the plymouth package or a system upgrade will ruin you customizations there :-(

Rebel450 8 years ago

@Hammer459:
"... want to understand..."

I realised earlier that you don`t understand issues around
efforts for appearance
and so I will try to explain it for you (and others herein).

There are people, they are are very visual orientated,
f.e. like me, graphic artists, layouter - in sense -
people with a visual talent -
usually these people does also have the so called photopgraphic memory.
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidetic_memory

So, for people like these
it is VERY important to have everything surrounding them with a
(symetric) awesome appearance in their taste (of colors)
f.e. I know a lot of Mac users, they spend hours just for to change the icons for their files and folders, searching the internet excessive for awesome wallpapers - there is an branch out there, just creating things like that, they produce nothing else.

People like you (I guess from your profile) are a typical "numbers person"
- they can not understand,
why others does efforts just to change appearances
but those can think very logical and have a natural talent for coding, numbers, accounting and so on. But they dont have a sense for ... how to call it the right way... harmonic arrangemnet of colors, forms and the beauty of symmetrie and balance.

That is, why you can not understand ;-)

I do ...

Hammer459 8 years ago

@lib2know it may just be that some are not allowed to write tutorials based on employment contracts....
I still have not gotten the answer from any one on the question that I simply cannot understand. There are hundreds of discussions, tutorials and suggestions on how to change the boot splash, that is visible for seconds at boot when you are not even looking at the box. Why spend the effort on this?? This has nothing to do with discouragement, it is a genuine question. I want to understand!

@lib2know your value is not measured in tutorials only. How many lines of code have you ever contributed to Linux or other OSS??

As I pointed out the tutorial is very good.

lib2know 8 years ago

Never mind, Statler & Waldorf don't know how it is because they never ever contributed not a single tutorial to that community in their lives ...

sagit2002 8 years ago

I also dont understand why people in this community cannot encourage without discouraging.

Hammer459 8 years ago

Good tutorial, to the point, good step by step and full description of the "problem" it is addressing.
I still do not understand why people spend so much thought on something that is visible a few seconds per day :-)

sagit2002 8 years ago

Ok I am also thinking of doing the same.

lib2know 8 years ago

i will change it to mintgreen !!!