Webcam on Skype

goly
  13 years ago

It happened to me that going to the video properties on Skype, the webcam test provided no video, despite the webcam was working properly!

To solve the problem I followed the procedure below:

1. cd /usr/bin/

2. sudo mv /usr/bin/skype /usr/bin/skype.real

3. sudo gedit skype 

4. Modify the file adding the following lines (substitute "lib32" with "lib" for 32 bit OS):

#!/bin/bash

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.real

Finally we must give executable permission to /usr/bin/skype. One way is the following.

Open /usr/bin/ as administrator (right click on the folder bin and select "Open as administrator"). Locate the file "skype" and right click on it, "Properties" and then "Permissions". Select "Allow executing file as program".

After rebooting skype, the webcam test and your videoconferences should work properly!

Comments
Leos 10 years ago

This other, somehow more precise, tutorial work great for me:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/219

Acer 5050 (AcerOrbicam - Microdia 6260) LM 15 Xfce x64

zavxoz123 12 years ago

code not working...

OneRide 12 years ago

Humm...not sure what happened here, but it killed skype. First, there was no folder "skype" in usr/bin, only skype.real. I had to create it. Then skype would not start from the desktop or menu. Received error "no such file or directory"

Deleted the skype folder with the same results, no start. Started skype from the file system and got the "create account or login" screen. Went thru the process of username and password. Still won't start unless you use Alt F2 run application window, but only with skype.real, not skype either from drop down window or typing it in.

A complete uninstall/reinstall using package manager fixed the damage, but still crashes when I test webcam.

lollo6_83 13 years ago

@rbennett: you should propose the idea of starting ANY tutorial with "switch on your personal computer" :-)

Elisa 13 years ago

:-) :lol:
As I can see it's a funny / humor reading here too :-))

goly 13 years ago

@rbennett: who pissed on your cornflakes this morning? My tutorial is treating step by step the solution to make my webcam working on skype. Other tutorials treat the meaning of basic linux commands like "cd". If you have no idea about such basic commands, you should start reading other tutorials. Writing this document I supposed that the reader is able to understand that he must open a terminal first.
Actually the most scored tutorial in the community describes a lot of basic commands. I suggest you to read it: "The 5-Minute Essential Shell Tutorial" by justin. To get there you can go on Community (menu on the top of the page) and click on "Tutorials". You will easily find the aforementioned tutorial.

rbennett 13 years ago

This may not be a fair vote for the community that is expert or upper knowledge. For me as a beginner in Linux Mint, I do not have a clue where to go or how to begin doing step 1. It needs to be more descriptive, to include all users - and that is what a tutorial should be. I cannot find any info on what cam to use on, or that will work on Linux Mint, so when I saw this I thought "YES!!!!!" but another disappointment.

goly 13 years ago

@rpesg: I don't know why you get into troubles with it. Several users have tried it and it works properly. Could you provide more info about your system (skype version, webcam, mint 32/64 bit, kernel...)?

rpesg 13 years ago

I try and on test it works , but when i try to start an call the skype crashes.