How to make a dual-boot into Windows put the "pagefile.sys" onto the linux-swap partition
You can have Linux use a swap file instead of a partition. You can also have Windows (via something like SwapFS - see http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/ or the mirror at http://branten.se/nt/) use a swap partition and move your pagefile.sys to it.
SwapFs is a driver for Windows that let you use a Linux swap partition for temporary storage, like a RAM-disk. It is possible to put Windows page file on it. It is implemented as a disk filter driver.
New in release 2.1 Works with swap partitions bigger than 4GB, works on 64-bit systems.
New in release 2: Works with standby and hibernation on Windows 2000/XP.
You should also know that there are two files for the Windows operating system: the paging file (pagefile.sys) for swap and the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys), which stores the system state when the Windows operating system goes into "hibernate" mode.
Tags: dual-boot, swap, Linux, Windows
Created: 3 years ago.
Last edited: 3 years ago.
Read 2418 times.
|2 months ago||
|very educative, i will investigate this feature lateron|
|1 year ago||
This tutorial is very interesting, though I don't use Windows on real machine anymore.
|2 years ago||
As mentioned in the swapfs.reg file, you should know that /dev/hda1 in Linux is equivalent to \\Device\\Harddisk0\\Partition1 in Windows NT. Please note that an extended partition number is skipped in the enumeration.
You should try with "SwapDevice"="\\Device\\Harddisk0\\Partition4" and "S:"="\\Device\\Harddisk0\\Partition4". If it fails, you may need to write Harddisk1 instead of Harddisk0.
|2 years ago||
|so if my partition is sda4 i would change partition1 to partition4 on both instances in the swapfs.reg file|
Other tutorials from Alexio
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 8 (Helena)
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 7 (Gloria)
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 6 (Felicia)
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa)
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 4 (Daryna)
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 3.1 (Celena)
- Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference
- Selection of Linux Tutorials
- The Linux Documentation Project
- The GNOME 2.32 Desktop User Guide
- GNU/Linux Desktop Survival Guide
- Ubuntu Guide
- Ubuntu Manual
- Keyboard Shortcuts for the GNOME Desktop
- Linux From Scratch
- Keyboard Shortcuts for the KDE Desktop
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 9 (Isadora)
- Download entire websites easy
- How-to index on the Linux Mint forum
- Search Launchpad PPAs and add them to your software repositories list
- Every Question About Ubuntu Answered
- Ubuntu Apps - application directory, tips, and customization guide
- Linux Terminal Command Reference
- How to get and install Linux games - Full tutorial
- Instructions for community.linuxmint.com
- OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice Keyboard Shortcuts
- Install and Optimize Linux Mint on a Solid State Drive
- Run Linux Mint in Windows without any configuration or installation
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 10 (Julia)
- The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint Debian 201009
- Firefox Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts
- A quick way to make Linux Mint look like Mac OS X
- How to customize the Linux Mint looks
- Install LibreOffice 3.3 on Linux Mint 9 and 10
- Install Firefox 9 Final on Linux Mint 9 and 10
- Reset forgotten/lost main user password in Linux Mint
- How To Save Downloaded Files to Selected Folders based on Filters
- Linux Filesystem Explained
- Assign Custom Shortcut Keys in Linux Mint
- Install Nautilus Elementary on Linux Mint 10
- Flash Video Replacer
- Install fonts on Linux Mint using Terminal commands
- How to manage the recent notifications for the GNOME desktop
- How to add videos to the Linux Mint Community Videos website
- How to fix broken packages using the Command Line
- Upgrade to Firefox 18 Beta and test Firefox 20 Alpha on Linux Mint
- How to setup the fastest server for updates using Synaptic
- Rotate Your Wallpapers with Webilder in Linux Mint 11
- Converting Audio Files On Linux Mint
- Popper - the e-mail notifier and indicator
- How to install Kazam Screencaster to create and upload screencasts
- Upgrade Thunderbird to version 12 Beta or to version 15 Alpha on Linux Mint
- How to easily download files from more than 40 websites, including Linux Mint videos
- How to enable unattended software updates on Linux Mint
- MultiSystem – Create a MultiBoot USB from Linux Mint