Thesaurus in LibreOffice

prosiedem
  12 years ago

This has been extracted from article 'OpenOffice 3 British English Thesaurus' by The Weekly Whinge website.

Just click below, install and restart LO.

http://www.weeklywhinge.com/files/en_GB_2_0_0.oxt

It's not mine, I've just brought it here to make life bit easier.

Please Note: I was installing en-gb version of Thesaurus. If you use the same, you might check in LO option which locale you've got set (I've got Default English-UK). Likely to be en-us (English-USA). Change it to en-gb and restart it- should work.

Another point brought to my attention by community: this is an unofficial extension from an unassociated website, use at your own risk.

Comments
blueXrider 12 years ago

Noting some concerns about this tutorial having a "unofficial" source I stated the alternatives. A "safer" method for some.

I think you covered enough ground with this.

prosiedem 12 years ago

Ok, @blueXrider. In my case en-GB Thesaurus has been installed and not came across (v.3.3)- option Thesaurus has not been highlited. For that reason, and not without a hassle, I've got it work in the way I've described above. To make the people's life that had the same problem bit easier.
Glad yours working fine.

blueXrider 12 years ago

It is possible to get the Thesaurus through the Package Manager

Alternatives:
Australian English Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org
English Thesaurus for LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org
US English hyphenation patterns for LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org

all were found using Synaptic without additional PPA's or sources

Once installed, open your LibreOffice Writer, go to> Tools> Language> Thesaurus> Choose the language.

prosiedem 12 years ago

Yes @trollboy, @remoulder has a point. I've aknowledged it in the post below, same as point made by @labby, and had updated the Tutourial about necessary warning as some people might not necessary read the discussions.

trollboy 12 years ago

@remoulder has a valid point. Linux is not invulnerable to malicious software so if you are installing from an unknown source, you should do so after making what checks are needed to satisfy you that your Windows using friends aren't going to gain piss-taking rights.

That said, I am in no way implying that this is a dodgy link and I don't think @remoulder was either; just advising a touch of caution when dealing with third party downloads.

Having said all of that, I'm probably going to end up using this as it is a sad lack -_-

Maybe it could be done as a Mint package?

robrow4 12 years ago

Simple but superb

prosiedem 12 years ago

Tutourial updated about locale issue. Thx Labby

Labby 12 years ago

@prosiedem Yup, that was the problem. I had the locale set to English-Canada. After setting it to English-UK and restarting LibreOffice the thesaurus works just fine. Good stuff and thanks for the tutorial!

prosiedem 12 years ago

Labby, i was installing en-gb version of Thesaurus. If you use the same, you might check in LO option which locale you've got set (I've got Default English-UK). Likely to be en-us (English-USA). Change it to en-gb- should work.

Labby 12 years ago

Hmmm...doesn't work for me. Maybe I need to restart the computer?

prosiedem 12 years ago

Thx compuman2004. This is my point of view: The main reason I use LO over OOO is that have easy to use Thesaurus option under RMB click, where in OOO you actually have to rich main menu or press key combination which I've found quite annoying. Who does essays, then knows. It gave me a bit of hassle to find it on web, so I thought it might be an good idea to share with others, to make a live little easier. And as remoulder wrote: this is an unofficial extension from an unassociated website, use at your own risk.
But so far, for me, works perfectly.

remoulder 12 years ago

This is an unofficial extension from an unassociated website, use at your own risk.