(N.B. these steps are for a computer with a current bluez v4 installation - the Mint 12 updates install this package.)
1. Switch to a non-gnome desktop(explain later); log in as an administrator.
2. Uninstall the bluez v4 packages in synaptic (or similar). This will also affect the bluez-gnome and related packages, which Gnome does NOT like (affects various important Gnome packages).
3. Download and install these packages:
4. You will also need to install the bluez-compat repository if it's not already.
5. Turn on the slate and place it into discoverable mode (press the 'connect' button underneath).
6. Open a terminal window and enter "hcitool scan". Once it finds the slate, note down its address.
7. Now enter "hidd --connect=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" where the X's represent the address of your slate.
If the slate did not connect properly, try resetting the bluetooth device or reconnecting the slate.