NV5378u

mikefreeman
  8 years ago
  Gateway (Laptop or Netbook)
  Mint (older version)
  Works fine with some minor problems
What works:

Nearly everything! Sound is good, webcam works great (Camorama can't find it, but everything else can), nicely supported wireless card, etc.

What doesn't work:

Built-in microphone does not seem to function correctly. Occasionally, I can get a response from it in the Sound Preferences tool, but when I try to access it from a program, it stops functioning. See solution below.

Took me a while to realize that although it has a light and key label for bluetooth, it doesn't actually have bluetooth.

Occasionally, the proprietary ATI graphics drivers crash. This crash is often caused by Compiz, although other programs may also cause it. There is a Compiz workaround below.

I'm back on Julia now, but a note if you're using Katya: when running on battery power, there is an occasional popping noise. It is caused by the audio controller switching in and out of power-save mode.

What was done to make it work:

1. Install Linux Mint.

2. Mint finds the ATI proprietary driver for you, if you want to run that, although the open source driver works great for most things, as well.

3. Open a terminal and type 'sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf'. At the bottom of this file add the following lines:

options snd_hda_intel model=laptop
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 enable=yes

This will enable the built-in microphone.

4. Make sure you install the linux-backports-modules-wireless package for your kernel version.

5. Open Compiz Settings Manager. Find "Workarounds" and make sure it is activated. Then click on the button that appears when you hover the mouse over the word "Workarounds" to open its settings. Make sure "Fix screen updates in XGL with fglrx" is activated.

6. If you use Katya: Open a terminal and type 'sudo gedit /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave'.

Look for this line: INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=${INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE:-true}

Change it to this: INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=false

This will turn of audio power save mode, and thus end the popping.

Everything should function pretty well at this point!

Additional notes:

Nice piece of hardware for a low price! Works better with Linux than my previous two laptops did.