Radeon HD5450

ravenheart
  4 years ago
  Sapphire (Graphics/Video/TV card)
  Mint (older version)
  Works fine with some minor problems
What works:

Sapphire Radeon 1GB DDR3 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/VGA graphics card. Note: The default driver worked just fine for everything EXCEPT a flaw with hibernation where the computer locks-up when returning from hibernation. The fix is pretty simple, detailed below.

What doesn't work:

I had a problem with the display locking-up upon returning from hibernation on Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64, while using the default driver. The desktop loads, but is unresponsive. Again, this ONLY happens upon returning from hibernation, not when initially starting the computer, or restarting.

What was done to make it work:

If you need hibernation function, then as of 5/15/14, you can install current AMD Catalyst 14.6 Proprietary Driver from their website. Backup everything prior to installing a proprietary driver, which is a last resort as far as recommendations for drivers go. The proprietary driver version found in the repository didn't work, by the way....I had to download and install from the AMD website, found here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Latest-LINUX-Beta-Driver.aspx

Everything including hibernation works after the installation of the proprietary driver.

Additional notes:

As some time passes, I'm sure the proprietary driver found in the repository will be updated and it won't be necessary to manually install from the AMD website.