Acer (Laptop or Netbook)
  Mint (older version)
  Works fine with some minor problems
What works:

Most things

What doesn't work:

The back light util fixed and the brightness adjustment

What was done to make it work:

Shine a bright light on the screen to log in and open the terminal,( or alternately log in and open terminal blind) then enter:

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=0
(enter password if light doesn't come on)

When you press enter the light should come on and stay on until you log out, switch user reboot etc. To make it stay on you will need to then enter (as root):

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local

Then the new window enter ( you may need to enter your password first ) the following above the line that says "exit 0" at the bottom of the page:

while [ true ];do
sleep 1
sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=0
done

The light should now come on automatically as normal.

Please note: when you use attempt to adjust the brightness you'll see the the display on the screen to tell you that it's changing but it doesn't although I think that changing the "0" for Various combinations such as "00" or "ff" may work.

Additional notes:

It may still remain dark whilst booting, but it will come on by the time you get to the log in screen.

If shining a bright light at the screen doesn't work for you (I found that it was still limated visuability so it helps if you know exactly what to do before hand. If your unsure try julia first), you could try pluging it in to a monitor. I have not tried this but it should work.