D630

harayz
  6 years ago
  Dell (Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz)
  Mint (older version)
  Works fine with some minor problems
What works:

Going from Windows XP to Ubuntu Gnome to Linux Mint 16 on it, i must say that so far everything works (and don't) as expected but i guess there are not much to say about "what works" for obvious reason.

What doesn't work:

The wlan card was a nightmare in the beginning and once i got it installed, Linux Mint 16 (Petra) runs super smooth on this machine. It was not long until NVIDIA driver screw shit up and i am still trying struggling with this issue at the moment. To nicely sum up, the following items did not work very well with Linux Mint, or any OS for that matter:
> Wireless Card
> Graphic Card

What was done to make it work:

Updated the microcode for the processor and dived deep into so many forum on related issues. Apparently the wireless adapter had something to do with the processor where i ended up on Intel's website and forums in the end. At times, i found myself going back to LinLap.com and reading what other users (of the D630) had to go through where i learned so much from the comments at the bottom - not much in posted article or reviews.
As for the NVIDIA driver, i am still working on it although made a major improvement after successfully solve constant Cinnamon crash issues. However, it is running on "Debugging Mode" with limited feature and options but i am optimistic with the amount of resources shared over the internet. Thanks to users who documented their experiences and developers that made the workarounds possible. That being said, the most important part of this is those who made manufacturers answer and be accounted for the product that we bought. Without them, the corporations have so little incentive and motivations to entertain consumers who had long purchased their products.

Additional notes:

It would be nice to have something like LinLap where users of specific hardware and systems can share their challenges and its workaround. Consumers (especially from the Linux community) should start talking to each other a little bit more and be organized in order to speed up the user experiences in the long run. This comes down to the open source community to encourage more communication and documentations, in any way possible. Sometimes, the questions are more important then the answer because we wouldnt know what to look for if we dont know what the problems are.