EC325

atifhans
  9 years ago
  Haweii (CDMA)
  Mint (older version)
  Doesn't work as expected
What works:

The hardware is detected perfectly. The configuration is also straight forward. After the fix the Internet also works perfectly.

What doesn't work:

The problem is that when I try to connect to the Internet through the network manager applet, it just gives indicator message as follows:
"NETWORK
Disconnected - you are now offline"
It just wouldn't connect!!!

What was done to make it work:

I have to install and configure the wvdail ppp dialer. Below are the steps involved:

Step 1. Install wvdial from the synaptic.

Step 2. Run wvdialconf, so that it can detect your modem.

Step 3. Type "sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf" in the terminal. Gedit will opened with specified file.

Step 4. Delete the semicolons before the "Phone", "Password", and "Username". The semicolons are there to make them as comments.

Step 5. Enter your Phone( #777), Username and Password after the equal sign, overwriting what is already there.

Step 6. Save the file.

Step 7. Run "sudo wvdial" in the terminal.

After that I am able to connect to the Internet by typing "sudo wvdial" in the terminal.

Additional notes:

My device used to work perfectly in ubuntu 9.04. After having this problem with mint, I tried again with ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04. Both of them have this problem.
I have to use the "sudo" in front of wvdial to make it work, which suggested some problem in permissions.
Also this bug effects many other similar devices too, so above procedure with some variations might work on them too.