Intense PC

chilipadi
  3 years ago
  CompuLab (Intel® Core™ i7-3517UE CPU @ 1.70GHz (dual core & Intel HD Graphics 4000 17W))
  LMDE
  Works perfectly
What works:

No issues with Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) "Betsy" so far; everything appears to be working straight off the bat, with minimal input from myself.

Any problems I have encountered were due to third party providers (e.g. my internet provider: Telecom Malaysia Unifi)

What doesn't work:

Initially I was unable to get access to the internet through Cat-5 cable. Wireless access was perfect. I put this problem down to my inability to set up the Telecom Malaysia Unifi router correctly.

What was done to make it work:

In the end I discovered from a Telecom Malaysia contractor that Telecom Malaysia Unifi's router is not very good at serving up wireless and Cat-5 wired access at the same time.

i.e. I can't access Gigabit internet through a wired connection whilst my wife surfs the web wirelessly on her iPad.

If I switch off the routers wireless functionality, the Cat-5 wired connection works perfectly (and is also very fast). I am happy to surf the internet wirelessly most of the time, switching off the routers wireless functionality only when I need to download large files (Linux.iso's etc).

Additional notes:

Intense PC is a fanless mini-PC with Intel Core-i7 inside, manufactured by Compulab in Israel. I am very happy with it's performance and plan on getting another one to use as a media server.

You cannot buy products made in Israel if you live in Malaysia, so I will have to wait until I am living in the UK or Australia.

System Information:
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) 2 "Betsy" Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version: 2.6.13
Linux Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic
Processor: Intel Core i7-3517UE CPU @ 1.70GHz x 2
Memory: 4 GiB
Hard Drives: 500 GB (in computer)
Graphic Card: Intel Corp 3rd Gen Core processor Graphic Controller

Photograph of Intense PC from the front

Photograph of Intense PC from the back