ThinkPad T42p

mintconsumer
  3 years ago
  IBM (Laptop or Netbook)
  Mint (older version)
  Works partially
What works:

Mint 17.1 installs but the graphics are sluggish.
Fn-modified controls work.
Power management and SpeedStep work (installed with forced PAE of course)
Not enjoyable overall. Mint 5 and 9 are better.

What doesn't work:

The gallium renderer is way slower than what was used in Mint 9 (supergood BTW). This laptop has FireGL 2 rv350 video, which is top-of-the-line as laptops go. The graphics are too slow for regular use though.
In software rendering mode it's impossible to use. I'm not a typist but I can type on QWERTY faster than it displays the text.
In normal rendering mode while using Firefox it's possible to make Bookmarks sub-folders "stick" to the mouse pointer to be dropped off at random wherever, just as the renderer "catches up" with motion.

ppracer plays with jerky frame rate, was perfectly smooth in Mint 9.

It's a monster regression similar to what happened when Ubuntu 10.04 came out and suddenly would not run on P3m Tualatin machines with chipset graphics.

Problem #2: devices on docking station were not detected, which means no LAN networking. Fixed it with tp-smapi-dkms.

After leaving the system on for a couple of hours (doing nothing) it slows down to a crawl. CPU graph reports the usual 10-70% utilisation. Memory usage hovers around 400-600 MB of 2GB available. Swap usage says "not available" eventhough there is a dedicated swap partition. This GUI slow-down is noticeable immediately when browsing Applets - Available applets (online) or the Desklets. (Weird)

fsck runs at every boot. None of these problems existed with Mint 5 or Mint 9.

What was done to make it work:

Installed tp-smapi-dkms to make the docking station work.

Changed over to Xfce for smoother graphics, but it was still sub-par compared to Mint 9. I guess the newer Linux kernel isn't up to task anymore.

Additional notes:

Dothan 1.8 Ghz, 2 GB DDR, FireGL 2 rv350 (128-bit VRAM).