IdeaPad 3 15ADA05 | IdeaPad Slim 3 81W1003EIN

ash_nux
  1 year ago
  Lenovo (15.6" laptop)
  Mint 19.x
  Works perfectly
What works:

Everything from WiFi to bluetooth, touchpad, camera etc works without any additional configuration. The laptop came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I flashed Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon and works without any problems. There were some settings which i changed in the BIOS before installing Mint. Please refer 'Explain What You Did To Make It Work (If Applicable)' section below.

Additional laptop specs:
2.6 GHz Dual-core AMD Ryzen 3 3250U Processor

RAM 4GB Soldered DDR4 2400GHz + 4GB DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM slot (Total 8GB, only 5.9GB usable for user applications. Rest 2GB reserved for Radeon Integrated Graphics)

Bluetooth v5

4-in-1 Card Reader
TN 220nits Anti-Glare Display
PC/ABS Case Material
6-Row, Multimedia Fn Keys, Numeric Keypad
Buttonless Mylar Surface Multi-Touch Touchpad

What doesn't work:

There is an error message during each boot but appears only for about 1 sec then boots into the OS without any problems.

Error:
pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter

Other than this no other problems were found. Should get resolved by next Kernel Updates

What was done to make it work:

In the BIOS, under the Boot tab I changed the Boot Mode to Legacy Support and Boot Priority to Legacy First. This automatically disables Secure Boot which makes Linux Mint Installation Easy. I have installed Linux using a 4GB Transcend Pendrive by making it a bootable USB device using Rufus 3.12. In Rufus I have kept the Partitioning Scheme as MBR (laptop has 1TB hard drive, if the hard drive is more than 2TB go for GPT) and Target System as BIOS & UEFI.

Pendrive format option was kept default (In my case it was FAT32 and cluster size was 4096 bytes)

Additional notes:

In order to boot into BIOS when my laptop had Windows 10, I restarted the laptop. When the laptop restarts (just about to get the Lenovo Logo I kept tapping F2 key (not Fn + F2) (F2 key had to be pressed before the Lenovo Logo appears when restarting).

After I configured the BIOS and saved the settings, the laptop restarts and now the laptop needs to be booted from the USB which I did from the Boot Menu (keep tapping F12 key when the laptop restarts just as I did while booting into BIOS.