R580-K.AHC4WA9

Vincent
  9 years ago
  LG (Laptop or Netbook)
  Mint (older version)
  Works fine with some minor problems
What works:

Wireless, keyboard, touchpad, USB mouse, monitor, webcam, audio (both input and output), and bluetooth (basically everything I tested) worked out of the box. Mint recognized my Nvidia Geforce G 105M card and offered me proprietary drivers, which worked without a hitch and runs really nicely without any conflicts. All in all, a fairly pleasant out-of-the-box experience.

What doesn't work:

Suspend refuses to work out-of-the-box. See below for fix.

Also, I cannot change brightness settings; keyboard shortcuts (Fn + Up/Down arrow) don't work, editing config files don't work, changing boot parameters don't work, etc. Still looking for a fix on this.

Edit (Jan 26, 2011): I haven't updated this in quite a while, but brightness controls do work, albeit keyboard shortcuts don't; see below.

What was done to make it work:

I've deduced that the suspend issue comes from my laptop not being able to re-mount my drives after resuming, thus leaving me with a desktop that does nothing when clicked upon and terminals that just keep on scrawling through the same error code over and over again. The fix was to go into my BIOS and change the HDC controller from ACHI to IDE.

Edit (May 10, 2010): There's another fix; if you have a LG laptop, get your BIOS flashed to the latest version posted on LG's website and you won't face any more Suspend problems even if you still use AHCI. ;)

Edit (Jan 26, 2011): A fellow Mint user asked me how to get brightness working on my laptop. Here's a specific set of instructions:

(All terminal commands are appended with a "$" symbol.)

First, download the nvidia-bl-dkms package from a Launchpad PPA:

$ wget https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa/+files/nvidia-bl-dkms_0.17.3~lucid_all.deb

Then install it:

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-bl-dkms_0.17.3~lucid_all.deb (use TAB to autocomplete)

Open up /etc/modules in a text editor:

$ gksudo gedit /etc/modules

- And insert "nvidia_bl" at the bottom of the file.

Reboot, and then try the following:

$ echo 300 | sudo tee -a /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness

Additional notes:

Overall, my laptop works well for Linux Mint 8 x64 Gnome and I'm really having a wonderful time with Mint! I use it for my everyday tasks and haven't touched my Windows partition in quite a while. ;)

Edit: (June 18, 2010): Works just as well with Isadora as it did with Helena. :)