Add an installer option to choose between Standard and PAE kernels

mikefreeman
  9 years ago
  Selected

I recently decided to upgrade my 4Gb laptop from Mint 9 to Mint 10. After the installation was done, my laptop ran a lot slower than it had before. It took me a while to figure out that the installer had used the PAE kernel, which is slower than the standard generic kernel. I replaced it with the standard kernel, and everything is now back up to normal speed. A user who is new to Linux might not figure this out before deciding that "Linux Mint is just too slow" and giving up.

It might be helpful for the installer to present a check-box on machines >4Gb, giving the user the option of installing the PAE version. The installer could present simple pros and cons for using the PAE version. If the user decides to use it, at least they are aware of the choice they are making, and the fact that it could slow down their machine. After installation, it might also be useful to instruct the user on how to revert to the non-PAE version.
Latest comments
RayWoods 8 years ago

New > Considered

quake0 8 years ago

Why don't we use PAE by default?

mikefreeman 8 years ago

blueXrider - the problem is that PAE seems to slow down the computer significantly (or at least it did when I wrote this - I now use 64-bit, so I don't know if that's still the case). And when the memory increase isn't significant, the user might want to be able to choose not to use the PAE kernel.

blueXrider 9 years ago

Well that is a problem if you don't know what a PAE kernel is.

Physical Address Extension is a technology which allows 32 bit operating systems to use up to 64 Gb of memory (RAM), something which is normally achieved by switching to a 64 bit system. PAE is supported on the majority of computers today and it is an easy procedure to enable it.

kazztan0325 9 years ago

This is a good idea!

but I think..., if there are any PC newbies who don't even know how much memory does his/her machine have, they would probably be puzzled to select >4GB or not.

Aren't there any possibility like above?

mikefreeman 9 years ago

Posted a tutorial in the meantime on how to replace the PAE kernel. I did it rather quickly, so please let me know if there is something I missed.

frankeinstein 9 years ago

Nice idea, if the implementation of this could be done in such a way as to not confuse newcomers to Mint(simplified wording and no technical jargon),I think it would be be a real benefit.