They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Give KDE Some Love

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Status changed 5 years ago
Author:

foggytown
Implemented
  Score:
277 votes
Idea:

Make the KDE release equal with the Main release. In February 2008 it was announced on the Mint Blog that KDE would be getting more attention and resources from the Mint team. Needless to say, it never happened.

Comments:

4 years ago

edgardo1568
i think linux mint kde should at least be in the same cycle releasr as the main edition  
5 years ago

foggytown
With the speedy and spectacular release of Mint 14 KDE RC, it does indeed seem that this idea has been implemented.

Thanks to everyone involved!

5 years ago

RayWoods
As Linux Mint KDE came out in January 2012 I think we can assume the Community is giving love to the KDE desktop. It may be a little delayed behind the main edition release but I think the blame for this can fairly be placed at the Gnome Desktop Developers forcing the Linux Mint Team to spend additional time making a workable desktop environment to work on top of Gnome 3! (I'm now ducking down behind the parapets!!)

Can I say Implemented...

5 years ago

Sweyn78
I feel that the KDE versions should be a bit more Minty at their start, rather than default KDE.  
5 years ago

hithirdwavedust
KDE is great. Definitely deserves love.
Gnome is great. Definitely deserves love.
They both need work.
Fortunately, they both have their very own development team, they are both available as meta packages, and they both have a compatibility layer for one another.
I don't understand why KDE needs more attention from any particular distro.

5 years ago

jose_manuel
Fantastic Idea !!!! KDE is the best desktop !!!!  
5 years ago

gofer83
I also don't worship any of GUIs. Both KDE and Gnome are great environments. Gnome is simple, but does not have many customization possibilities.
KDE is a bit more complicated, but you can adjust almost everything there.

For now, Gnome is going wrong way in my opinion (Unity is a piece of shit) and KDE is getting more beautifull and stable with every version.

One trend in both environments I dont fully understand...How can there be so many "new features" with every new version when old problems are still not fully resolved?

If KDE is not worth supporting, maybe it would be better to focus all the processing power on Gnome?

Conclusion: The choice is ours...let the best GUI win!

5 years ago

Lithos
I trust the new kde release shows it has more 'love' but I think all versions should have the same weight  
6 years ago

sajukktheeternal
I hate gnome 3.
I don't have a problem with KDE, but I don't worship it either. I have used it, but quickly returned to gnome 2.

Now, with gnome 3, I am considering KDE once again, but I think mint should stick with MATE, which needs to be further developed.

So, I'll wait a bit before promoting or demoting the idea

6 years ago

fabietto0102
I think Mint's focus should be Gnome. A clean and easy to use interface that can keep people interested in using desktop/notebooks while the market pushes toward portable "smart" devices. Thanks mparfitt, I couldn't find better words!

6 years ago

sojin
KDE 4.7+ series is rock solid. Mint should give some more love!  
6 years ago

wayward4now
I just installed KDE on top of Mint and it works fine...  
6 years ago

mparfitt
I think Mint's focus should be Gnome. A clean and easy to use interface that can keep people interested in using desktop/notebooks while the market pushes toward portable "smart" devices.  
6 years ago

blueXrider
Not to cause havoc but KDE doesn't cut it. Eye candy all the way. It's a fu-fu environment.

Anything but KDE

6 years ago

Squirrel
Linux mint trades customization options for ease of use even more than Ubuntu does.

Because KDE is designed for more customization, it seems that gnome is the better choice for mint.

6 years ago

ugubabba
i'm pure kde on 2-3 machines all mint kde atm, gnome3 and unity are just not me and gnome2.3 never was.. see yourself though  
6 years ago

plankgas
I would like to have a Mint KDE netbook  
6 years ago

SunWukong
I'm not a KDE fan, but I think it's important that KDE gets the attention it deserves.  
6 years ago

nhlop
I agree. KDE give more possibilities for advanced users and it same way make getting access to system setting for new linux-newbies very simply. Gnome hide most of adjustment tools like Windows. It some times turn new linux usrer life in hard way.  
6 years ago

groovydaddy
I like KDE a lot. I'm all for the Mint KDE releases getting equal attention. I used to run KDE everything when distrohopping before landing on Mint, but it just seems lately I've been in Gnome more because of school. All of our Linux classes use Gnome Fedora 12 LTS, so I've just been using Gnome to stay familiar with it for class.  
6 years ago

aliyhuss
Nice idea, i am using gnome on my notebook for college stuff such as programming, but i prefer kde on desktop which is used for multimedia stuff. kmint worked much better for me then kubuntu, although i have some problems with my ATI graphic card  
6 years ago

sythe
KDE is the best!  
6 years ago

pancaran
I use Isadora with my new notebook, No problem for all my hardware.No system blocks, and with KDE my desktop very good.  
6 years ago

Aatxe
With some tweaks applied mint kde is the best and fastest see my Tutorial/idea post  
6 years ago

jordan4girl3
its because gnome works a lil better lol :P  
6 years ago

Elisa
Mint 9 KDE is nice, just a blind man can say it's a crap or silly noob can say it's slow as a lame dog...
Anyway : +1 this idea although it looks like again speaking to deaf... :-\

6 years ago

ahsan366
Gnome 3 with the gnome shell will offer plenty of eye candy. What will mint do? go with gnome or remix ubuntu's unity????  
6 years ago

ahsan366
Gnome 3 with the gnome shell will offer plenty of eye candy. What will mint do? go with gnome or remix ubuntu's unity????  
7 years ago

ross
KDE for me was exciting, Kubuntu.. My break through from stale windows,and the horror stories there within.. Then it all went horribly wrong, the lag, the waiting for something, then the crash. Lost everything again, think I'm just gonna sit here with my Julia Mint. Don't get me wrong, it did put me off, but not enough to go back to that other place! I wish i was in a position to give some time and brain to the help needed, alas.. I'm just gonna wait and gracefully take it when it comes!  
7 years ago

shoo_ash
Very hard to find a really nice and good looking KDE distribution. I liked how kubuntu 10.10 worked (it was almost as fast and responsive as needed), but it's standart blue look and feel... I remember that the only Mint KDE I've seen was a bit better than kubuntu, so Mint KDE would be a big hope to be able to switch to KDE finally.  
7 years ago

sigma-ml
I like the software availability of the Ubuntu ecosystem. But, I also like KDE. I tried Kubuntu time and again, only to resign back to Ubuntu, frustrated. KDE is a nice, well-integrated desktop. I was quite pleased with 4.5.x. However, Kubuntu's packaging handicapped it beyond reasonable measure. Kubuntu does look like a stepchild.

Mint has a great opportunity to evolve as the leader of KDE-providing distributions.

7 years ago

azathoth
KDE 4.5.2 is the shiznit! It's rock solid in PCLOS which makes that one of my favorite distros, of course Texstar is one hell of a dev which certainly helps a lot.
Although I will add, as long as Mint uses Kubuntu I'll be using PCLOS for all my KDE needs.

7 years ago

cpatrick08
i am a kde fan but i will use the mint 10 gnome edition until mint 10 kde is rc/releases  
7 years ago

computersatisfaction
any idea when mint 10 kde rc will be avail?  
7 years ago

dequire
Gotenks - Can you be more specific?  
7 years ago

Gotenks
I am not a programmer so I can't speak to why people love it there. Love trying new technologies and GUI's out. This does not apply to KDE as the last few releases have left a bitter taste in my mouth. Demoted.  
7 years ago

davedarkblade
Mint kde is the kubuntu killer but i think this version needs more love. I think is better a livecd instead of a live dvd (full of programs that can be installed later) because this is an advantace for those without a fast internet connection.  
7 years ago

Xyie
While KDE is not my cup of tea, I believe the goal with Mint is to provide as much polish as possible for any desktop used. If this means devoting more time to get things smoothed out, so be it. The final product should be a quality product, put together with care. This means more work. If there's a dedicated team for each version of the distribution, this may mean they'll come out quicker, but otherwise you've got people shifting their focus around, trying to get multiple projects (different desktops) done to a high quality status.

Really, if more love is to go to KDE, there needs to be more people that step up to give that love, because at least some of the people working on it have all the other desktop environments to keep track of for Mint. In short, instead of complaining, how about volunteering to do something about it?

7 years ago

mbnoimi
As Qt developer and Windows/Linux x64 user I prefer to use KDE because it offers many features not easy to access with Gnome.

I encourage you to give it much more of Love.

7 years ago

mustafa
I prefer KDE because I can customize every single bit of it, but the main reason is Qt, it is far better than GTK, if you are a programmer you will know the difference, so YES I'd like Mint to focus on KDE as well as Gnome(I don't use Gnome at all but a lot of users do).  
7 years ago

dbpatankar
I don't care about polished look a lot. But still I like KDE because it is feature rich.
And as kwag said, as per as KDE 4.4.x is concerned its a different storey! No more crashes, bloats.
I would love to see KDE CE released as official edition and at the same time when main (GNOME) edition releases.
+1.

7 years ago

kwag
KDE 4.4.x is no longer as slow as previous versions, and I'd say it's about as fast as GNOME. But KDE's framework is far superior to GNOME's, and has many features that are not present on GNOME.
After using GNOME for several years, I was hesitant to try KDE, because my previous tries always resulted in crashes, after several minutes.
So far, KDE 4.4.x is a different monster!
I've been using Pardus Linux 2009.2 for a couple of months, which sports KDE 4.4.x, and also Arch Linux, and the performance and stability is great.
So I've finally switched to KDE for my main machines, and I don't regret it at all! The look of KDE is far more modern than GNOME (GTK) "jagged" buttons and "tacked on" looks :)
KDE feels more integrated and consistent environment.

7 years ago

dequire
I like the idea. Kubuntu is ripe for the picking and needs a serious challenger from the Debian-based side of things. Bring it on Clem!  
7 years ago

jroque
I love the KDE version of Linux Mint 9. Excellent work guys. The backup tool with the option to backup the software installed is an EXCELLENT idea. Good job!  
7 years ago

Irbis
A lot of distros have no problem supporting both (e.g. Fedora) - it would be great to see Linux Mint this way. As it was said before - Linux is about choice.  
7 years ago

newchieng
Yes, Clem has announced that CEs will be officially supported and no longer considered community editions. This will help to increase the quality of KDE implementation for future Mints. I think this is a step in the right direction. And I think we should not mind too much that KDE is released somewhat later than the GNOME edition. But I do hope that the time lag in future will be lesser. Anyway, I don't think there's a need to re-iterate the pros & cons of the two main WMs in the Linux world. Linux is about choice and although I'm now preferring the sleek KDE over slightly-dated GNOME looks, this might change again in future. :)  
7 years ago

brad
KDE isn't the most popular environment.There are a limited amount of people working on the Mint project.Seems best to focus on the best rated versions.  
7 years ago

mikefreeman
I agree with beyecixramd. Mint should remained focused on one desktop environment, be it Gnome or KDE. I for one have no love for KDE. It looks slick, but it's slower than a lame dog (on my computer), impossible to find my way around and get into a good work flow (admittedly because I'm not used to it), and it reminds me a little TOO much of Windows (never been a fan of that nasty, ill-conceived, bloated beast, either). I love Mint. I love Gnome. Mint really shouldn't split its resources to equally focus on multiple WM/DE's. The best, most successful organizations focus on doing one good thing really well.  
7 years ago

khai
KDE edition has a big potential in Mint because of (lack of) quality of Kubuntu.
Unfortunately because it's delayed a long time after the Gnome edition many people are not willing to wait for it.

7 years ago

ichat
sadly to say i must agree to some extend with the last comment,

kde has always looked to me like a verry usefull set of tools.

the reall big issue with it for me is that its verry illy supported,

think about all the minty / ubuntu'ish tools there are

if only half as many would be there for KDE - i might consider finally startint to use kde instead,

it has potential to be a way more userfriendly WM/DE than gnome is,

its just not intergrated so nicely -

the thing is ... this would only ever happen IF
the kde-team would start a better atempt to design its desktop as good as the gnome people do...

so i say GET your packages straigt and start working on beter intergration, even if it means skipping a release.

after all its better to have 1 good release than 2 flawed ones

IF it works kDE wil finaly get more love,

7 years ago

francis_ty
Why not make KDE as the main version like Open Suse does. KDE has better applications and nicer look.  
7 years ago

SxFlare
I remember back when KDE and Gnome were installed both together, that got messy fast, however it was nice to select either of them to use.  
7 years ago

brad
Gnome is the most popular and,whilst it would be nice to see other versions get more attention,it makes sense to give the most popular the most attention.KDE isn't personally my cup of tea...perhaps a E17 one would be nice.  
7 years ago

brad
Gnome is the most popular and,whilst it would be nice to see other versions get more attention,it makes sense to give the most popular the most attention.KDE isn't personally my cup of tea...perhaps a E17 one would be nice.  
7 years ago

pazuzuthewise
Clem announced that all former CE will become official:
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1377
These accusations are not founded. It may be true that there were not that many mint tools in Helena KDE CE, but it was infinitely more stable than Kubuntu. And this means it received attention.

7 years ago

baffle-boy
YES, YES, YES! I use the KDE version and im always hearing about stuff in the normal version that didnt quite make it inot the KDE version. some more support for it would be greatly appreciated! (because, lets face it, KDE is just so much cooler (lol jk gnome has its benefits))  
7 years ago

beyecixramd
No no, nono, noonononono. IMHO, there are GNOME-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora) and KDE-based distros (Mandriva, Sabayon, Mepis).

Kubuntu is a mess, just like Mandriva GNOME is. EVERY distro should have its own identity only on its main WM/DE. But also, let the user install the other WM/DEs, ideally, for example, in Ubuntu/Mint, ship unbranded/vanilla KDE packages, so the user can customize them later.

7 years ago

LadyQuindecim
Well, I suppose I ought to chime in. Yeah, KDE is a CE. Yeah, I would like it if Mint was KDE-centric. Unfortunately, I am not in much of a position to contribute, so I am not going to fuss about anything.

Sorry there is not much "value-add" to my comments here.

7 years ago

lnxwalt
"And for the record, Kubuntu is absolute crap."

This is true. Kubuntu is (surprise) a "community-developed edition" of the Gnome-centric Ubuntu distribution. Kubuntu is considered the "blue-headed stepchild", because all of Canonical's resources go into developing Gnome-specific applications, and then the non-Gnome editions have to try and re-implement what they can with their corresponding window manager / desktop environment in mind. Xubuntu, for example, uses XFCE, and reuses much of the Gnome work-product.

Kubuntu is stuck trying to re-do the entire desktop and application stack every six months with almost nothing shared with their Gnome-based parent distro.

"Not every distro has editions for gnome, kde and so on therefore if you are a kde fan, and you love mint, I think your actually lucky there is one."

True, not every distro has editions for each desktop. But most of them aren't really desktop-centric, either. Mint's Gnome edition shows us what is possible, but it suffers from having Gnome's limited-function and non-configurable apps. Even when I'm using Gnome, I don't use Totem or Tomboy or Gnumeric, for example. A desktop-agnostic core would make it easier for Gnome users who use non-Gnome apps, just as it would make it easier for non-Gnome 'editions' to develop compatible and similar-appearing desktops.

Because of the "blue-headed stepchild" issue, I've switched one of my machines from Kubuntu to Xubuntu, and am currently deciding whether to switch it to Gentoo or to Arch. My laptop is Xubuntu 64-bit / Mint 64-bit (with XFCE/KDE) dual boot. But even that is probably going to change soon solely because of the Gnome-centric focus of both Ubuntu and Mint.

7 years ago

fr1day
I used to love gnome I thought it was the best thing since toast, but over the years it has aged terribly. KDE in my view gives people what they want in terms of a modern window manager. It's well designed, is very customisable, it has plenty of eye candy, and some very useful apps. I know it can be a bit buggy and bleeding edge for some people, but for me the bugs don't detract from the overall experience in the slightest.

If there were a distro out there that had all the polish of mint but gave as much attention to KDE as to Gnome I'd be using it tomorrow. So yes this is something I'd very much like to see.

7 years ago

csher987
I've tried Helena with the Gnome interface and found it to be lacking in a few details. Rhythmbox needs some work - I tried to rip songs from several CDs and it hung on the second CD. The only way I could get it to accept another CD was to reboot - I think that's a flaw. I've gone back to Gloria with KDE because I can rip many CDs without a reboot. To me, this is a big plus. Also I love the Kontact PIM, yes, I know I can run it under gnome, just the same as I can run the gnome stuff under KDE, but I prefer the utilities in the KDE arena. For me, I think KDE is much nicer than Gnome.  
7 years ago

csher987

7 years ago

lnxwalt
Mint really should do what Ubuntu failed to do: make a desktop-agnostic core upon which to build desktop-specific editions. Honestly, I don't show Gnome-based desktops to Windows users any more, because it chases them away. KDE is a less frightening and less difficult experience, often leading to "can we put this on my computer" conversations.

A desktop-agnostic core would not only help the community editions. A lot of Gnome users depend upon Amarok as their music player, or digiKam/showFoto as their photo app, because sometimes non-Gnome programs are a better fit for their needs. As Gnome apps move toward even less customizability, this will increase.

So, yes, Mint is wonderful, but I (and some other Mint users I know) immediately install and use non-Gnome desktops. If one of the consequences of "showing KDE some love" is making it easier to get a usable system after installation, I am all for it.

7 years ago

Fugy
Mint is no Kubuntu or Ubuntu and Mint KDE is community edition.  
7 years ago

scinite
Better be first. I think Mint stands on rock solid ground of Gnome, If KDE would be released with Main edition,its very likely new user may download KDE, And could not be comfortable with it and end up Linux tryout. KDE 3.5 is good for novice but KDE 4 can be annoying and difficult to learn Linux.  
7 years ago

Daybreak
I believe the editions (main and CE) should be released at the same time. If KDE is a crap or not, it does not absolutely matter.  
7 years ago

Rovanion
And for the record. Kubuntu is absolutely crap.  
7 years ago

Hammeh
I really don't see the need for the kde edition. The kde edition is a community edition and not a main release, therefore if you want it faster, maybe spend some time helping to develop it? Not every distro has editions for gnome, kde and so on therefore if you are a kde fan, and you love mint, I think your actually lucky there is one.  
7 years ago

qwer
yeahh... Ubuntu and Kubuntu realeses at the same time. Agreed

7 years ago

Reves-Yosoy
And I'm still waiting for Mint 8 CE, u_u  

Other ideas from foggytown

No other ideas.