They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

The 3 S'es

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

DeMus
Implemented
  Score:
27 votes
Idea:

I have started using linux as my main OS, my only OS in the mean time, with Ubuntu Hardy. A year later I installed Jaunty and again a year later Lucid. With Lucid I had problems getting it stable. Also I did not, and still do not, like what Canonical did with the looks, especially placing the min-max-close buttons to the top left of the windows. I know I can change that but I feel they should not have changed it and I should not have to change it back. It's a waste of time and effort.
Because of Lucid I started looking around some more and found LinuxMint. Even though Isadora is based on Lucid, this OS is stable and works great.

What I think is important for an OS is this:
S for Speed
S for Safety
S for Stability

How a system looks is irrelevant because there are many themes to choose from, making it look just the way you want it. The people who build the OS should not concern about looks. They should concern about the 3 S'es: Speed, Safety and Stability.
That's what we want, that's what we need.

Comments:

6 years ago

DeMus
To be honest, RayWoods, I do not quite understand your question. I know Mint has a couple of DE's, more than what you mention btw: Cinnamon, Mate, KDE and XFCE.
Ioseph wrote that stability is the tricky one of my original 3S'es. I agree. The reason he mentions is exactly what I "hate" in the Linux world: there are way to many distro's and every distro is continuously working on the next issue. Also Mint. Something I do not understand.
We now have a 5 year supported LTS version and a few months after the release a new version is mentioned already on the Mint homepage: Nadia. This means less support for the LTS version since a couple of programmers have to build Nadia.
Why not work on the LTS version with the whole team, making it better, faster, more stable and make sure everything just works, instead of building a new one again? What's the use of having an LTS version, this time even 5 years, when immediately a new version appears already? How many of you stay with the LTS version when Nadia is born? I know I will, but reading the comments on the Nadia page I think I could be the only one.
My idea would be to improve this LTS version even more, maybe include the new ideas which are now invented for Nadia so it is updated and thus being bleeding edge technology.
When the new ideas, which are invented for Nadia, don't make it to Maya, not many people will keep using Maya. It's a fact everyone wants to have the latest, newest, coolest version available. This mean all the hard work invested into Maya is going down the drain. That's a shame.
Keep working on it please and maybe in a year or two you can start making a new LTS version, which then gets full attention. I think this way the quality of the product will improve.

6 years ago

RayWoods
The Linux Mint Team are and, have been, spending a lot of time on the way our distribution is developing. They are strongly supporting two DEs after the rug was pulled out from under us by the Gnome Developers. So, can I say Implemented?

New > Implemented

7 years ago

DeMus
@Ioseph
What I mean, and probably did not write in my original posting here, is that developers should concern about the 3S'es to improve the OS. These are the main concern. At Ubuntu they are more concerned about the way it looks, and still it looks terrible. The latest version has the Unity interface which is disgusting. I sure hope Mint will not follow and keep using the menu structure it has right now. Just have a look around among people using Ubuntu. How many still uses the looks Ubuntu has made? How many have changed the desktop, the colors, everything? So why does an OS builder concern so much about the looks? They also know people will adjust it to their own liking.
Concern about Speed, Safety and Stability to get an OS which is even better than best. Users will adjust it to get just that personal touch they like, and need.

@blueXrider
Thank you.

7 years ago

blueXrider
not a bad idea  
7 years ago

Ioseph
Speed - Linux itself, by nature, has speed. You can improve this yourself the more knowledgeable you are of the OS. Less "junk" more speed.
Safety - Linux is secure from regular "virii" and the like while in the end the USER is the weak link in the chain. (ie Don't do stupid stuff)
Stability - This is the tricky one. With the hundreds of flavors of linx and millions of possibilities of hardware configurations this is a challenge. Unlike M$ you can run linux on nearly everything if you know what you're doing. Sadly at the cost of speed the Dev's need to make a very general set of programs/scripts/ect to make sure almost everyone will have as little flaws as possible.

tl;dr Learn the OS and unlock the door to endless possibilities.

7 years ago

DeMus
sdam:
I did try Debian stable but it was not stable at all. I can't remember the details since it was installed some time ago. I do remember a lot of programs just didn't run at all or stopped running automatically.
I use Isadora 9 (64-bit) for one year now and apart from some smaller things I am very pleased with it, so I will stick to it until it will be out of service in 2 years, replacing it with the latest LTS version available then.

7 years ago

sdam
You get these and more with "mintified" Debian stable. See http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/443.  
7 years ago

DeMus
@orionthehunter
Thank you for your positive words. It's just as I wrote, the system has to be fast (Speed), Safe and Stable.
You ask if I propose a new idea because it sounds like a marketing pitch. Well I wish I knew how to do that. I'm just a computer user who wants to have a fast, safe and stable system so I can do what I want and need to do.
How it looks is not important. I can choose a theme to make the looks match me. Operating system designers should not have to concentrate on that, they have to concern about the basic system.
My idea is what I wrote here, I have no idea how to make it work though.

7 years ago

orionthehunter
I believe most here will agree with you. Are you proposing a new idea? It sounds like a decent marketing pitch.  
7 years ago

zaenal1234
praise for linux mint = +1  

Other ideas from DeMus

No other ideas.