software manager showing dependencies

pazuzuthewise
  8 years ago
  Implemented

Software manager should be able to show all the dependencies a package is going to install or remove and the size of these packages (useful in the case of pay-per-transfer internet connection). Synaptic does this by default, and also apt-get.

If the reason for not having this feature in Software Manager is the desire to keep its interface simple, this could be achieved either by having a setting to toggle it (and defaulting it to 'no'), or by a button on the respective's package page.
Latest comments
trollboy 7 years ago

It does show this information under the details section.

New -> Implemented

blueXrider 7 years ago

The software manager is more graphically appealing than synaptic but I would rather see what needs to be downloaded than look at the neat little icons.

The marriage of the two would be interesting.

mikefreeman 8 years ago

I like this idea. As Xyie said, I often use Software Manager to find software (easier to do there), then go to Synaptic to search out how much of a hit my hard drive will be taking as a result of dependencies.

I had split my hard drive into separate / and /home partitions, and at the time I originally partitioned it, 20mb seemed like more than I'd need for / to store what it needs. Now, it seems like I keep running out of disk space if I try to load in too much at once. This suggested feature would help out a lot!

Xyie 8 years ago

I like the idea of it being a feature with a toggle, defaulted to not display. Otherwise I tend to go to the Software Manager to find an application, then shuffle over to Synaptic to search for it yet again, and see what else it installs, if anything.

AgingTechnogeek 8 years ago

Software Manager was created so people who did not want or care to know what all the dependencies for a program were would have a simple installer that did its work behind the scenes. If you want to know what all the dependencies are, use Synaptic Package Manager