They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

More image types for avatars

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

kneekoo
Considered
  Score:
126 votes
Idea:

Restricting to JPEG-only seems weird. PNG is an open format so at least this additional image type should be supported by the community's CMS. I'm not a fan of GIFs but many others have such avatars - most non-animated. Please support at least PNG, but also consider GIF as the third supported image type for avatars (and maybe signatures in the future).

Comments:

6 years ago

dagon
Sorry. Just found an earlier idea(100) that had been approved and will be implemented, probably next time the developers has time to focus on the community site. As a method we only approve one idea and reject duplicates.

ref.
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/100

considered -> rejected

6 years ago

dagon
> considered  
7 years ago

Anleoje
Good idea ;)  
7 years ago

mjoens41
Good luck with that, I can't even get my tiny 100k x 100k jpeg to upload, it's a bit silly and behind the times how small you have to have them.

7 years ago

blueXrider
<<<<<< Mine seams to be okay  
7 years ago

Steampunk-Nick
SVG and PNG should be available as options for avatars  
7 years ago

orionthehunter
+1 for SVG support. We need to promote open vector graphics.  
8 years ago

Twiguard
The SVG is a great idea. You can easily make infinitely detailed pictures and even animations within kiBs. BUT it's a little more performance consuming AND how many users would do that? O_o  
8 years ago

Qruqs
What can I say, when the community pages start to look "anibloated", I know I'll be looking for greener pastures.

Google for:
site:godlikeproductions.com overuse animated gifs
...to see what I would not want to happen here.

8 years ago

wanda
Avatars < Google macht es moglich.  
8 years ago

killmess
I would like also bigger images allowed, like 150x150 or 200x200, in a high resolution medium size screen(like fullhd on a 20" 16:9 monitor or 1280x1024 on a 17" 4:3 monitor).
Some avatars has details that can't be appreciated on a very low res.

8 years ago

hazmint33
I agree with animated gif support  
8 years ago

Boringbytes
I totally agree, we need to be able to use more image formats. PNG for certain, but why not svg too?  
8 years ago

Laan
I agree with the idea of supporting PNG  
8 years ago

tanmays
I didn't noticed it too. But a very nice idea to get open formats. Voted for it.  
8 years ago

Abd3l
i want a gif compatibility so bad!!  
8 years ago

Abd3l
PLEASE!  
8 years ago

baffle-boy
yes! i made a similar idea already, so i definitely agree.  
8 years ago

ivanovnegro
I agree absolutely.  
8 years ago

Twiguard
I have to agree. My JPEG is somehow weird this way. XD  
8 years ago

Obsi
It is not an essential feature, I didn't even notice it, to tell the truth x) But you are right. The Mint website should promote open formats, too.  
9 years ago

FrostyC
YES! I tried uploading my avvy about 7 times before I realized it said .jpg...  
9 years ago

Fugy
Sounds nice  

Other ideas from kneekoo