Alternate Version of Linux Mint

efthialex
  9 years ago
  Considered

It would be really useful if there was an alternate version (CD) of Linux Mint as in Ubuntu.

This installation CD is suited for computers unable to run the graphical desktop based installation, either because their computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the live cd or because their computer requires configuration after the installation is complete in order to use the desktop.
Latest comments
trollboy 7 years ago

I am rejecting this as a duplicate of this idea which has been marked for consideration.

New -> Rejected

beever 8 years ago

ON a DVD of course .. with LVM and Raid support would be great ...

ivy_s 8 years ago

Yeah this will icrease the installation process on some Netbooks.

blueXrider 8 years ago

agreed

Xyie 9 years ago

Related idea - alternate installer included: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1309

If offering an alternate installer would push the CD over to a DVD, then I'd say an alternate version of the CD would be better.

Otherwise, including an alternate installer on the same CD would make that CD more versatile.

M_onkeyman 9 years ago

In essence, this is a good idea, since I can empathize how slow it can be sometimes to install or fix a installation; but rather offer a new installation media, I think it would be better just to offer multiple options before the installation starts, i.e., "Non/Graphical Install" option the moment Grub boots. The Debian Squeeze offers a text based installation that worked easy on my computer. Nonetheless, like mentioned before, good idea.

AlbertP 9 years ago

It solves many installation problems of people with devices that need some specific driver to be installed. Great idea.