Localized communities

Rovanion
  9 years ago
  Under dev. review

When community.linuxmint.com is finished, consider having separate translated versions of it.

The result would be a onestop help-center for everyone in their native language. I am not talking about translating every idea, every question, every wikipage. Rather just making duplicates of the site for each language. Separated from each other the community could grow in every language, not only in english. Tough, the one thing that should be shared is the account system.
Latest comments
RayWoods 7 years ago

I'm not sure about the practicalities of this one, it may be easy for large multi-national corporations but, for live data as can be found in the Community we may just have to rely on our old friend Mr Google, hey ho!

New > Considered

blueXrider 7 years ago

I disagree. Then you are asking for splinter groups.

orionthehunter 8 years ago

I'm all for improved localization and translation of the community site.

wanda 8 years ago

I support this idea.

zaenal1234 8 years ago

I agree this idea.
this great idea.

Wamukota 8 years ago

I support this idea, because setting up a local environment with a CMS, forum, wiki is not something that is within every users grasp, not least the financial site of running it.
There are also costs involved and each local community uses themes that more or less resemble to something greenisg, but there is no coherent look&feel; among them.
Moreover, running a local community boils down to one, two people at most doing all the work, and there is never a fall-back strategy should they decide to quit.
I just created http://linuxmintusers.be (Belgian Linux Mint Users Community) with Drupal, Forum, Wiki and Artwork (Coppermine) sections, but it is quite a tedious job. While doing that management I cannot help out other Linux MintUsers on the forum, because of lack of time.

Rovanion 9 years ago

Translating something using Google Translate is butchering the language. It turns out horrible and often very wrong.

Alexio 9 years ago

I think that a tool like the website translator gadget powered by Google Translate may be used to translate the English text in other languages: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/translate-your-website-with-google.html

jkw 9 years ago

It's one thing to try to explain a thing in English or in a native language. I myself have no problem understanding nor explaining english even though I'm Swedish.

But as said, some people actually get a complete "aha"-experience when they get something explained in native language instead of English.

Rovanion 9 years ago

For you who actually understand English. Those who don't can't go to the English page at all.

HANAX 9 years ago

If every non-english community has own separated workspace, than IMHO user will have to go to localised site and then to english site to obtain as much info as possible... It's like with wikipedia - I don't find article on specific topic in my native language (or it's too short), so I have to go to english wikipedia... It's a loss of time to read 2 articles...

Rovanion 9 years ago

Tough the first thing that's needed for a community to shape is a common interest. That is in this case LM. The second thing needed is a place to meet. Without this place to meet the community will never have a chance to take shape.

Hammeh 9 years ago

I could see this happening in the future. However, it would require a rather large non-english community to take part in order to make it worth while.