An Official Linux Mint YouTube channel - Linux Mint Community
They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

An Official Linux Mint YouTube channel

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Status changed 5 years ago
Author:

raiyan1
Considered
  Score:
97 votes
Idea:

Do you think that Linux Mint would benefit from having its own YouTube channel? This Channel can provide reviews for Linux Mint users, show what's new about a new version of Linux Mint and even help users that are new to Linux Mint with video tutorials. I personally find videos way more interesting than text. plus videos can spread quickly and more people can know of Linux Mint and its features. A bunch of Linux YouTube channels have gotten lots of positive feedback and many views. So I think Linux Mint should get its own YouTube channel.

Comments:

1 year ago

havilla
La idea es buena. Y también podría usarse para aclarar detalles de mayor complejidad como instalación/configuración de drivers/firmware y la aparición de algunos bugs.  
3 years ago

mnewkirk
assuming enough users subscribe, there could be some $$ recovered!  
6 years ago

prjolivet
i promote, I think youtube would definitively improve the visibility of the best linux mint community video. Now youtube is included in google main page...  
6 years ago

Alexio
A nice video about the Mint Gnome Shell Extensions is now featured on the Linux Mint Community Videos website.

There you will find the download links for the Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Enjoy!

6 years ago

Simeon
Very good idea considering the popularity of You Tube.  
6 years ago

yugal
LinuxMint is really good, but people don't know about it.
Its a must have.
We can have community best contributed videos.

6 years ago

Alexio
I posted 30 answers to the question "Why Linux Mint is better?" on the About page of the Linux Mint Community Videos website.

You can comment on these answers here, on the community website, for the idea Why you select Mint?

6 years ago

Alexio
The updated statistics from 25th of April until the end of September: 434 videos posted, 9768 visits, 8117 absolute unique visitors, 17897 pageviews, 1.83 average pageviews/visit, 00:01:55 average time on site, 75.43% bounce rate, 82.92% new visits.

You can now translate the Linux Mint Community Video website pages in your language using the Google Translate menu from the bottom of each page.

Also, there is a custom search engine for the community videos that are hosted on various video sharing websites.

On the Fluxbox, GNOME, KDE, LXDE and Xfce pages there are now links to the download pages of the latest Linux Mint ISOs and short descriptions from Wikipedia.

7 years ago

raiyan1
Keep on voting people! SO far the score is 36.  
7 years ago

raiyan1
@Alexio That is awesome that many people are viewing your page. Keep up the good work. Also I encourage everybody to check out Linux Mint Community Video website at http://linuxmint.mirocommunity.org/

7 years ago

Alexio
To help promoting Linux Mint you can visit the Linux Mint Community Video website and submit new videos.

There is now a link to the Linux Mint page on DistroWatch available on each video page that can be used to make Linux Mint more popular. Also, there you can see the latest posts from Twitter related to Linux Mint and promote Linux Mint on a popular website about software alternatives.

On the About page you can find the latest links and discussions about Linux Mint posted on a social news website.

The updated statistics until today: 270 videos posted, 2473 visits, 2110 absolute unique visitors, 5196 pageviews, 2.10 average pageviews/visit, 00:02:32 average time on site, 69.07% bounce rate, 84.71% new visits.

7 years ago

Alexio
The Linux Mint Community Videos website already has tags and categories for each video.

The visitors can easily search for a specific video.

The category for "pimpmint" is "customized desktop".

7 years ago

henrydubb
My two cents. It seems less important to have a Linux Mint youtube site than an acceptable tagging mechanism with instructions. Like linuxmint, pimpmint, katya etc.  
7 years ago

psyckers
Fantastic idea. It could even do short tutorials that are fun and easy for even my wife to understand.  
7 years ago

Fabulous185
Great idea. I liked the site and the Mint's news, videos there.
Thanks a lot.

7 years ago

Alexio
@raiyan1 - Thank you!

Everybody is invited to submit Linux Mint related videos that are hosted on various websites, not only videos from YouTube or Vimeo.

The website address was submitted to various search engines.

The updated statistics until today: 311 visits, 1383 pageviews, 4.45 pages/visit, 52.41% bounce rate, 00:07:26 average time on site, 72.99% new visits.

7 years ago

raiyan1
@Alexio That's cool  
7 years ago

Alexio
@raiyan1 - There are now over 150 videos posted in the following categories:

1. Choose Your Desktop (customized desktop, Fluxbox, Gnome, KDE,LXDE, XFCE)
2. Play with Linux Mint (Gaming on Linux Mint, Multimedia on Linux Mint)
3. Video Reviews
4. Video Tutorials
5. Zoom on GNU/Linux

Some statistics: 96 Visits, 484 Pageviews, 5.04 Pages/Visit, 50.00% Bounce, Rate, 00:08:25 Avg. Time on Site, 76.04% % New Visits.

Every day I am searching for new videos and the collection is growing.

Anyone can submit new videos by clicking on the "Submit" button on the menu. I posted a tutorial about the bookmarklet that allows you to add videos to the Linux Mint Community Videos website with one click, without having to return to the site homepage.

7 years ago

raiyan1
@Alexio How is http://linuxmint.mirocommunity.org/ going?  
7 years ago

Alexio
@burjans - Thank you very much for promoting the new video website.

I posted a month ago an idea about creating this site, but there was little interest for it at that time. That idea was about using Universal Subtitles for videos about Linux Mint.

There are similar websites for Debian, Ubuntu and Pinguy OS.

7 years ago

sayan_acharjee
Ya, that would be great.  
7 years ago

burjans
I think we should publicize the website

http://www.com-sl.org/comunidad-de-videos-de-linux-mint.html

all

7 years ago

Alexio
I see that the example video from Vimeo was removed by the user. Maybe some users do not like to see their videos featured on other websites.

I would like to mention that all the videos included in the Linux Mint Community Videos website are only aggregated from various public sources in one central location. The videos are controlled by their creators and hosted on other websites.

7 years ago

DJCrashdummy
@Alexio yes... i've read your comment 2 days ago!

--> i wanted to suggest to raiyan1 and some other people that there is not only youtube!!!
some video-hoster like vimeo are much better for non-commercial videos!!! - just a personal opinion! ;-)

7 years ago

Alexio
@DJCrashdummy - The website I created is compatible with almost any video hosting site. As an example, see the "Linux Mint recorded desktop" video hosted by Vimeo and included in the Linux Mint Community Videos website.  
7 years ago

DJCrashdummy
what do you think about using Vimeo and not youtube?!??  
7 years ago

burjans
+1 ... great idea  
7 years ago

wanda
Registered as User < Done  
7 years ago

raiyan1
I too have become a registered user at http://linuxmint.mirocommunity.org/

I encourage everyone else to do so too.

7 years ago

zaenal1234
I, too, supporter this website: http://linuxmint.mirocommunity.org (which will be the place where the "users-linuxmint" work via the video).
I hope will become official in linuxmint.
& Great Job, for @Alexio.

7 years ago

Alexio
@MintHerO - Thank you very much for your support.

You can register as a user of the Linux Mint Community Videos website using your Facebook, Twitter, OpenID, Google account or create a new separate account. Just use the Login button from the bottom of the video pages, on the left.

The registration/login method is inspired by the comments posted on the Single Account for Everything idea.

7 years ago

raiyan1
Thanks everyone that voted and/or voted.  
7 years ago

Alexio
@raiyan1 - Yes, I made this video website last night, in a couple of hours, after searching for some relevant content on the internet.

The alternative logos in the "About" section are in the public domain.

Anyone can submit links for videos that are hosted on various websites, not only videos from YouTube.

7 years ago

raiyan1
@Alexio If you made the website congratulations to you. When did you or whoever made it make it?  
7 years ago

Alexio
You can now join the Linux Mint Community Videos website.  
7 years ago

UbNiX
Love the idea!

7 years ago

MechaKong
Having an official Mint channel on YouTube would be very helpful for new users, and would be a great project for the Mint community.  
7 years ago

raiyan1
Thanks to everyone that promote this idea and those that commented with positive feedback. I personally think that making a YouTube channel will improve Linux Mint's reputation since YouTube is very popular and there are many people interested in Linux and others that are not so sure about what Linux can do.  
7 years ago

Alexio
Great idea! Our community already has a lot of relevant video floating around on the internet.

I would add that the easiest way to make a video website using the existing videos is to use the free services provided by the Miro Community.

7 years ago

josbruyn
+1  
7 years ago

cpatrick08
love the idea  
7 years ago

raiyan1
I don't when we can start this channel. But you can support this idea by promoting it. Thanks for all the positive feedback. And I hope that if this channel is made that you will find it help, useful and interesting.  
7 years ago

pc-fixservice1
great, when we can start?

7 years ago

FewClues
As a review or overview it would be great. Tutorials really do better in text if they have multiple steps or command line input. I would love to see a Mint channel no matter why the reasons - we can all learn! And the more that folks get to see Mint in action the more users there will be.  
7 years ago

zaenal1234
ide hebat. very good, nice & great idea. jika ini terwujud bisa menjadikan linuxmint komunitas yang paling bagus & jadi favorite untuk semua orang.
for tutorial with video tutorial ...is... very help to users linuxmint.

7 years ago

mikefreeman
That's a terrific idea!  
7 years ago

drum
a great idea !  
7 years ago

wanda
Great !.  
7 years ago

raiyan1
Thank you for supporting the idea. I really think it would benefit the Linux Mint Community a lot if they had an official YouTube channel.  
7 years ago

angelofthe0dd
Great idea. I think a YouTube channel for just Linux Mint provides a useful way for Mint to reach out to its current users, and also possibly attract new users. There are a lot of technical concepts that a book alone can't explain as clearly as a video demonstration.  
7 years ago

DynamicMan
I prefer text myself, but I think there are lots of people would like video reviews, tutorials and so on.  

Other ideas from raiyan1

No other ideas.