Replace new Compiz in Katya with recompiled older version

mikefreeman
  9 years ago
  Implemented

In the Katya release blog, many of the complaints about it involve the bugs in the new Compiz. This has been a big issue for me, personally, and reflects badly on Mint (even if it's Ubuntu's problem).

I propose compiling the older version of Compiz and CCSM (to solve the Python version dependency problem of reverting back) and including it in Linux Mint (make it a dependency of the main LM meta package), replacing the newer, buggier Compiz. Once the newer Compiz is finally ready for release, stable, and Emerald is updated in the Ubuntu repos to work with the new Compiz, then this can be removed to allow the new version in.
Latest comments
mikefreeman 7 years ago

Yes. Compiz seems to work fairly well now in Mint 13, although I've seen some glitches here and there still.

oscar799 8 years ago

Time has passed and from browsing the forum it seems Compiz works with Mint 13 MATE
I'll mark this Implemented

dagon 8 years ago

I came across this problem in this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=212&t=84491&start=0&hilit=compiz

The latest stable version is: compiz-0.8.8

@mikefreeman (and the rest...)
How is the situation now? Did anyone try this in Mint12(Mate)?

ref.
Here is the changelog up to 0.9.7 in ubuntu:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/c/compiz-plugins-main/compiz-plugins-main_0.9.7.0~bzr19-0ubuntu7/changelog

Simeon 8 years ago

Good idea, I hope as Katja user will be soon implemented.

Emil89 8 years ago

I was going to write a similar idea, so I'll just promote this instead.

CyprianD 8 years ago

I have the same problem, new compiz 0.9.x causes for me many problems,
issues in displaying windows, many issues with gnome panel as well. In ubuntu it is not a big deal because there is no gnome anymore :(

New compiz version is unusable (which is quite normal because it is still work in progress )
I had to switchback to Julia just because of this.

Just look on other ubuntu based distros on distrowatch, Pinguy , Zorin and Trisquel still have stable compiz 0.8.6, there must be reason for it.

Anyway, it is in my opinion very good idea to switch to older but stable compiz.

blueXrider 9 years ago

I'm not having the issues that others are having. I don't know why but I'm using CompizConfig Settings Manager 0.9.4

I also have Displex installed. The thing I miss is the simple CCSM. Can't install it or I would loose Compiz.

Good alternative idea though.

mikefreeman 9 years ago

@kazztan0325: I'm glad this helped you! Hopefully the Mint team would see fit to implement something like this as default.

kazztan0325 9 years ago

@mikefreeman, Thank you for your idea and information!
I refer to your info, also got full Compiz capability back on my system.
Very Good!!

mikefreeman 9 years ago

Here's another interesting item: http://sourceforge.net/p/displex/home/

With the PPA I mentioned below, and Displex to replace fusion-icon, I've got full Compiz capability back on my system. Very nice!

mikefreeman 9 years ago

Yes, agreed on that! Although not even the splash screen works on my system. It displays some sort of error in text mode (can't remember exactly what it is at the moment), so obviously Plymouth isn't running at all. My first goal is to see if I can get a stable, nice-looking system. I rarely reboot, so the lack of splash screen issue isn't a showstopper for me. I agree, it wouldn't be a good first impression for new users, tho.

RayWoods 9 years ago

I totally agree. Just how many newbies will be put off Linux because of this calamity? I also think the lack of a splash screen to be a mistake too. Even ten seconds with a blank screen is too long.

mikefreeman 9 years ago

Ok, I found an alternative that works better...

Add in this PPA: ppa:guido-iodice/compiz-0.8.6-natty

This will revert your Compiz back to 0.8.6, and CCSM will work. Unfortunately, there's no fusion-icon, but it's a good start. I'd still prefer everything reverted back and in either Mint's or Ubuntu's repos. But I'll take what I can get.