Software Manager: more info

SamHoratio
  8 years ago
  Considered

Software Manager doesn't show how much of a package it has downloaded, how much is left or how long ETA is. It would be nice if it showed at least the size of the package.
Latest comments
lib2know 4 years ago

currently we have the size of the download and the disc space required.
Then while installing we have the progress bar.
So i would say that can be marked as: implemented!

blueXrider 8 years ago

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/index.html

SamHoratio 8 years ago

Right now, I happen to be installing KDE-full using Software Manager. It showed me that the package size to be downloaded is 350 MB. With a download of this size, it would be immensely helpful if I could see what portion has the manager already downloaded and at what speed.

SamHoratio 8 years ago

But I'm pretty sure aptitude provides that information. For one apt shows these details while installing on command line. Plus, I think what we see in Ubuntu Software Center comes from apt.

remoulder 8 years ago

Once you click install software manager passes off the task to apt running in the background, afaik it has no way of knowing how long the d/l will take.

SamHoratio 8 years ago

I think knowing how much data your system is retrieving from the server and how long it may take is relevant. The main page for the application shows all the info needed, but once you switch to the Ongoing Actions there isn't much but a progress bar with percentile number.

And of course I'm talking of mintInstall 7.3.2 the Software Manager for LinuxMint 11.

remoulder 8 years ago

This is not relevant without reference to the version