Software Manager: download multiple packages simultaneously

SamHoratio
  8 years ago
  Considered

When installing multiple applications, Software Manager downloads a package firs and installs it (leaving other undownloaded packages waiting). While installing a package why doesn't Software Manager start downloading other packages on the queue?
Latest comments

blueXrider 8 years ago

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/index.html

Xyie 8 years ago

Sounds like this would need multiple calls to apt: one for downloading, and one for installing. I'm not sure whether that is possible. Last I checked, if you try to use apt while another instance is running, it says it can't start, or that what mintupdate complains about when it attempts to search for package updates while you're using synaptic or installing new applications via the software manager. Anyhoo, what apt can and can't do will be the answer here.

SamHoratio 8 years ago

You're right Xyie, Synaptic doesn't install while downloading, I was referring to the fact that it does download multiple packages simultaneously. I however have mistakenly equated the two though.
Your solution seems interesting although it runs the risk of downloading say.. an application and it's plug-ins and dumping data in the even that the application fails to install for some reason.
What I'm suggesting is making the two seemingly independent processes of downloading and installing happen at the same time, for different packages obviously.

Xyie 8 years ago

Notice that synaptic does not (not that i know of) install packages _while_ downloading other ones. This may be the biggest issue here.
Perhaps a toggle or option to install applications in the fashion that synaptic does would get what you're wanting? That way you could download all the ones you selected in sequence, and then install afterward? (Would this mean sending one request to apt instead of queuing several?)

SamHoratio 8 years ago

I have seen Synaptic download multiple packages simultaneously. I don't think there's a technical limit to that.

remoulder 8 years ago

See my reply to your other idea

SamHoratio 8 years ago

By downloading other packages during the time it is installing an application, Software Manager could save considerable amount of time needed to download and install several packages.