They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Mint Future (insert a number >13) Boot Splash Screen (lack of)

Created 7 years ago, edited 6 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

RayWoods
Selected
  Score:
45 votes
Idea:

I'm currently running Linux Mint 11 in VirtualBox, (until the dust settles on some of the upstream bugs that afflict it are cured). I know you can't expect the same performance as on a native box, however I am perturbed by the long wait with a blank screen. Even five seconds with nothing happening can be worrying and I'm blank for closer to a minute with my setup.

I think Clem's design of blank to black to be wrong as this is usually what happens when something goes wrong! Would it be possible to blank to a colour, or even white? At least it is a bit more reassuring than black.

Comments:

5 years ago

Qruqs
As "gauravjuvekar" says, that would be interesting, and a tad show-offy to your friends. "Oh, my! Is that thing text based? Oh, I see. Nice!"

However, are there too many (harmless) errors flying by that might generate silly support questions?

6 years ago

kazztan0325
I have installed "Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon" as a VM in VirtualBox, and confirmed Boot Splash Screen has appeared by default.

As for other editions (MATE, Xfce, and KDE), I have not tried them yet, so I don't know these also got back Boot Splash Screen or not...

6 years ago

jupiter66
Yes, Mint should get rid of this black boot screen. Even if the boot screen is simple, that would be better than nothing.  
6 years ago

gauravjuvekar
Actually, showing the system messages would be better  
6 years ago

mintconsumer
Mint-green screen. Or just the default console with green text.  
6 years ago

RayWoods
You miss the point @vincentv: this should be as standard, not an added extra.  
7 years ago

RayWoods
Pretty Please Clem? But for all editions!
(Has the power gone to your head Ray? No; it hasn't Ray)
New > Considered

7 years ago

D_cell
Yes, I have to agree with this one. I'm a newbie Linux user and was worried more than once while booting. Looking at a black screen for about a minute with no apparent activity can be distressing, especially being a former windoze user with many crashes.  
7 years ago

blueXrider
I installed plymouth-theme-mint-logo and plymouth-theme-mint-text to get a splash screen. Works good  
7 years ago

blueXrider
I think we can all agree that "something" needs to be done. Any visual effect would be an improvement over a "black" screen.

It creates panic as in the "blue-screen-of-death", if ya know what I mean.

7 years ago

mikefreeman
I've got sort of the opposite problem. The Katya version of Plymouth doesn't seem to be compatible with the proprietary ATI driver (in Julia it was fine). So while I don't get the black screen, it still doesn't look nice and professional. It's just white scrolling text. I tried installing the Linux Mint boot screen, but it doesn't help. It does work when shutting down, though. That's nice.  
7 years ago

mhuma3
OR just put simple text like "loading OS" ...  
7 years ago

mudslinger
Black Screen = BAD!
Splash screen or loading status = GOOD!
I've been giving Mint 11 a test run - in virtual machines it's ok - but booting natively on my main computer - screen goes into standby - and sits there for a very long time (I suspect it hangs at this point) - I can't tell if it's supposed to have finished loading or if I should let it have another 30mins to see if it finally loads!

I was hoping to upgrade from LM9 to LM11 but this booting black screen issue off the liveCD has halted the progress. It's a pity - everything seems fine in VM testing.

7 years ago

kazztan0325
@RayWoods, I agree with you.

When first reboot Katya after installation, I panicked a little while I was looking the black screen.
So I installed "plymouth-theme-mint-logo" and "plymouth-theme-mint-text" with Synaptic Package Manager, got back Mint splash screen.

After all I am calm by looking splash screen while boot up PC.

7 years ago

RayWoods
@thx1138 Yes, in my opinion even a few seconds without feedback is too long. Not all of us have their box within easy reach to see if any pretty lights are flashing.

A flash screen doesn't need to be flashy either, it can even be a bit of simple text telling you that Linux Mint is starting. Anything, just as long as it isn't a blank screen.

7 years ago

thx1138
Is it really that difficult to wait a minute (or less) without any visual thingies going on on your screen and taking a look at the blinking LED of your machine (just to be sure that it's working. And just while this one minute (or less) since you pressed the On button of your machine)?

BTW: Just in case Mint 12 might have a boot screen, wouldn't be breasts (cup c and beyond) more nice to watch at as simple dots (let's not talk about colours in this case)?

7 years ago

RayWoods
@davidvesely - we can make modifications of our own but we have to consider the standard installation that other users, and especially Newbes are greeted with.  
7 years ago

davidvesely
I have installed a boot splash theme so things looks nicer  
7 years ago

jkotesh
yes, black screen often causes users to panic, and similiar one while hibernating and shutting down,  

Other ideas from RayWoods