Scalable icons for Mint-X-Dark Theme

Lewdsquirrel
  11 years ago
  Considered

We need scalable status icons for Mint-X-Dark theme too. Status icons look very ugly when using the Dark theme.
Only the Mint-X theme has scalable icons...
Latest comments
kazztan0325 10 years ago

@Lewdsquirrel -> Last login: 2011-09-20 13:42:36

@Anakondarh:
Thank you for giving us a workaround.
I hope @Lewdsquirrel would log back in as soon as possible.

Anakondarh 10 years ago

I too see what you mean. For now, my workaround is as follows:

As root, go to /usr/share/icons and you will see the Mint-X and Mint-X-Dark folders. In the Mint-X-Dark folders, go into status and 24, make a folder called backup and move into it the following icons: audio-volume-high, audio-volume-low, audio-volume-medium, audio-volume-muted and audio-volume-off. Then, go back and into the Mint-X folder, then status and scalable. Copy from here the same icons, and paste them back in Mint-X-Dark/status/24. Then, go into Preferences/Appearance in the Main Menu, select your theme and "Customize", change to another icon set and then change back to Mint-X-Dark. Now the icons should load nicely in the tray, and also the volume "popup". Since I have only seen this problem with those icons (for some reason, the brightness one was always ok), and since they happen to be the same color in X and X-Dark, this should be a good workaround until we have some proper scalable icons.

I wrote all this from memory so hope there is no typos! I'm also doing it on LMDE, so although the paths should be the same, they might not... Experiment!

kazztan0325 11 years ago

@Lewdsquirrel:

I saw screenshots which you posted on Forum, and confirmed the phenomenon which you are annoyed with.

Unfortunately, my LMDE (Virtual Machine) has gone a few days ago, and Compiz didn't work on my LMDE from the beginning.
So I have no way to experiment the phenomenon be reproduced or not.

I'm sorry but I couldn't help you.

Lewdsquirrel 11 years ago

@kazztan0325:
I just posted some screenshots here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67572&p=441650#p441650

With Compiz on, every time you change the sound level or brightness, a huge status icon appears at the center of the screen. As Mint-X-Dark doesn't have scalable icons, the basic icons are just magnified, that's why they appear pixelated and ugly.

kazztan0325 11 years ago

@Lewdsquirrel:
Sorry for my misunderstanding.
But I tried as you said..., Only NotifyOSD just appeared, besides nothing happened.
What is STATUS icons?..., Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Lewdsquirrel 11 years ago

@kazztan0325:
I'm talking about STATUS icons: Turn Compiz on, then try to adjust the sound level or brightness, and you'll see what I mean...
Of course the icons in the panel are ok.

kazztan0325 11 years ago

I tried to apply Mint-X-Dark theme on my desktop, but they don't seem ugly...

Isn't your panel's color light, is it?

Mint-X-Dark icon theme is what should be used on dark panel.
I would recommend you to change your panel's color be dark.