Update Packeges in the Community for software review

blueXrider
  8 years ago
  Planned

This idea is for the LinuxMint Community Board

Please update the list of packages in the software section. i tried to find LibreOffice to make a comment but couldn't find it.

09-08-2011 72% approval
Latest comments
AshBaby 6 years ago

good idea

dagon 7 years ago

This idea is a duplicate of:
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1457

dagon 7 years ago

I don't know what's going on here but I mark this as considered so someone can have a look at it.
Though, if it's a package/version that isn't in the main repositories it's a good idea not to include it for review to avoid confusion(see remoulders second comment)

new -> considered

Kraft 8 years ago

I promote this idea too.

RayWoods 8 years ago

A lot of ideas have been languishing around in the pending tray (New Status) for a very long time. Me thinks the site's powers to be are far too busy developing Linux Mint in its various guises to be able to spend much time on this site.

Perhaps we need an Editor for the site. Their job will involve passing on ideas to the development team and administering this site.

Labby 8 years ago

Agreed! I was just searching for LibreOffice to add my review and couldn't find it.

I am promoting this idea, but seeing since @blueXrider posted this a month ago, I'm guessing it will be quite some time before we see any updates around here. :(

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@prativasic:
I think we cannot help the total score of VirtualBox will be divided into 3 parts.
But I guess the users who need 'VirtualBox' would install it without consideration of its score.
So it would not be a big problem.

And then I don't think there are many packages which include its version number in their name like 'VirtualBox'.
So I think it would be good if package and its version would be shown like below:

e.g.
[opera]
Releases:
* Isadora (10.10.4742.gcc4.qt3)
* Julia (10.62.6438)
* Katya (11.10.2092-1mint1)

prativasic 8 years ago

And, yes, I promote this idea.

prativasic 8 years ago

@kazztan0325:
Great, but then the total score of virtualbox will be divided into 3 parts. And the score of individual versions will be low enough to ignore by new people.
@blueXrider:
Yes, I agree with that.

@ both of you:
I personally think that the best solution to this problem is to remove Release info as well as Software Version info from the community DB. But there could be written which is the latest version of the software.

e.g.
VirtualBox [Latest Version: 4.0]

This way we will get many votes for the same software which will be enough to motivate new people. And yes, new software should be added to the DB as soon as they are available in repository (whatever the release is).

blueXrider 8 years ago

The problem lies within the DB not as current as the releases. Software should be available to to review no matter which distro is being utilised.

Some folks are using more than one distro on different machines and should be a clarification as to what software goes with what distro.

See the comment "Releases:" on each software's review page of Community"

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@prativasic:

Updating the Community's Software Database which we need is NOT REPLACING older version with newer version.
We just need to BE ADDED newer version and some software which be newly added.

e.g.
There is only 'virtualbox-3.1' for Isadora users in the Community's Software Database.
We need to be added 'VirtualBox-3.2' for Julia users and 'VirtualBox-4.0' for Katya users.

prativasic 8 years ago

It sounds really a good idea to me. But I just have few questions in my mind. I think it needs some clarification.
We all agree that the purpose of the Community's Software Database is to make a good reference of software for new people. Now, whenever an existing mint user vote, the database gets updated. This is really a good system. And we don't have any obligation towards this.
But, the thing is that, whenever some mint (Katya and Julia) user try to review some (new) software, they are not present in the DB. I know, its really confusing.
But think about it. If the current system is modified according to your idea, then the DB needs to get updated with every major release, not with every LTS release. And this will lead to a LTS user to a really confusing state because s/he would see reviews were present for some software, but not present in the software manager.
Now, I think you all know about the conservative approach of Linux Mint to software update. And if that's the case, then Linux Mint should prefer LTS releases more than the non-LTS regular releases.
And hence, they update the DB with every LTS, not with every release.

tayss 8 years ago

Definitely would suggest to review existing packages before. Found some nice packages without a single note on it.

blueXrider 8 years ago

Thanks all for your support. Need more votes to get it implemented.

blueXrider 8 years ago

Thanks all for your support. Need more votes to get it implemented.

kiss_It 8 years ago

I like this idea

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@blueXrider:

What I felt strangeness seems be solved through your raising.

Please refer my idea which I submitted about 2 weeks ago.

""Releases:" on each software's review page of Community"

kazztan0325 8 years ago

I tried to review "VirtualBox-3.2" by Software Manager on Julia (which is also a Virtual Machine, no LaunchPad PPA be added), but it was refused with Error message too.

Conclusion:
Community's Software Database has never updated since Isadora released.
It is necessary and is important for us (not only Katya users but also Julia users) that Community's Package Database has to be updated as soon as possible.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

I tried to review "VirtualBox-4.0" by Software Manager on Katya (which is a Virtual Machine, no LaunchPad PPA be added), but it also be refused with Error message like below (as same as @RayWoods said).

"Invalid package name
The package you're trying to review was not found in our database. Please contact the development team about this."

I think, It is necessary and is important for us (especially Katya user) that Community's Package Database has to be updated as soon as possible.
It is the point of this issue.

remoulder 8 years ago

bluexrider: I see no hypocrisy in my comment, I suggest you reread it without the obvious bias you seem to have. Whether you agree or not, do not resort to personal comments.