They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

"MintReinstallMyApps"

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Author:

heltonbiker
Implemented
  Score:
76 votes
Idea:

In my learnings about Mint and Linux in general I have soon discovered the advantages of separate home folder AND installing from scratch for each new biannual edition (migrated from Ubuntu to Gloria (more than one install) then to Helena now).

Each time is the same, as already said on this community:

1. Install from LiveCd (after download and burn);
2. Set fstab for home folder and such;
3. Personalize.

This third step usually involves personal configs (which are kept intact in the home folder)...

AND reinstalling a lot of apps.

I know APTonCD and other similar tools are great, but one should be able to sort of "bookmark" most useful apps oneself has installed, during the everyday use, with trial-and-error app testing for each task. This would make possible to:

1. Reinstall automatically a cleaner "personal suite" of softwares and packages";
2. Avoid installing apps that are not used (downloaded - tested - forgotten);
3. Avoid the need to remember thoroughly the name of "that app I used to have to make that thing, which one was it...?"

This could be done from some kind of cache (quicker) or from the repos (better). The idea is to take as few mouseclicks as possible after a reinstall from scratch to have an almost "identical", working and productive system after a reinstall.

Comments:

4 years ago

yejay
I was thinking about this...
the status of this idea is implemented,does it mean it is possible to use this option

5 years ago

Jessey-Lawson
sounds good.  
8 years ago

clem
The new mintbackup is ready and it solves part of this problem.  
8 years ago

heltonbiker
@JiPi: the server syncing of software installation during OS install sounds perfect! Hail to Cloud Computing!! ;oP  
8 years ago

clem
It's funny you mention that idea, because that's exactly what ikey is working on at the moment! With a bit of luck this will make it in time for Mint 9.  
8 years ago

Fr3d
With any upgrade there are going to be things that dont work.. But in general a book mark tool sounds good. You go through the aps perhaps the Software manager or with another tool !! (so the things from package manager are kept) and somehow tag all the things you want to keep.. an app list is saved in a desired location like /Home or usb memory stick.
then you feed this list into something that runs >apt >get >install
Probably wont get any development time but I like it.

8 years ago

JiPi
I love the idea. It could be something kept on Linux Mint servers and we could "sync" with mintInstall maybe ? This isn't a small project, but would be great ! It could even be a good idea if you want to keep a PC park up to date with softwares...a little bit like GPO in Windows even...this is a much bigger project maybe, but could help in medium-large business ???  
8 years ago

Craig
Really good idea.  
9 years ago

squishy
an improved apt-on-cd would be a good thing  
9 years ago

FrostyC
Love the idea, but perhaps a more advanced apt-on-cd that could copy everything including xorg customizations, hardware configuration and such, compress it & make it an iso or something. Also add an option to disable copying of hardware config if you need to install a duplicate system on a different machine...  
9 years ago

Mdyter
really good idea  
9 years ago

Rovanion
While this is an awesome idea, the ideas posted here should be about the site as stated by clem.  

Other ideas from heltonbiker