Boot Linux Mint from external portable hard disk

guruwannabe
  8 years ago
  Considered

Install Linux Mint 11 onto external portable hard disk to bring the OS around - just like LiveCD.
Criterion:
1. Hard disk should be stable and rugged and reliable.
2. Good cable connection, else OS will hang...

1. Installed Linux Mint 11 64bit onto iomega eGo 500gb HDD.
2. Sucessfully booted from USB2 connection in 2 different computers:
a) ASUS P8 Z68-V Pro with Intel i7 2600K CPU, 8gb RAM
b) Acer Laptop Aspire 4736Z 3gb RAM
3. Minor issues to resolve
a) Mint 11 don't detect USB3 connection
b) Laptop LCD booted blank
i) Use external LCD monitor
ii) Boot option: "i915.modeset=0"
Latest comments
dagon 7 years ago

Also, please do finish this as a tutorial. Your idea has already been helpful to others and it's easier to find in that section.

/d

dagon 7 years ago

Hi guruwannabe!!! :)

"Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your comments.
As a newbie, I might have understood the concept of ideas wrongly.
I thought that 'personal' ideas means 'mini-projects' that I would like to do and share as contribution to the community or get the community involved if it is something that's worth other's effort."
Yes, you actually did understand it wrong, though the community site could do with a manual and a FAQ.
The purpose with the community site is to submit ideas concerning the functions of this site and also the Linuxmint OS. Do a search on the ideas that have been marked "Approved" and "Considered" for examples.

As this isn't an idea that can be forwarded to the developers for consideration I now reject it.

new -> rejected

The place to share "'mini-projects' that I would like to do ", is:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/

See you at the forum!

dagon

guruwannabe 8 years ago

@Bob_BC and @MongoTheMad,
Glad to hear that :).
Well, my LinuxMint11 PHD did not boot from some PCs. Have you experienced this and how did you overcome this?
Wonder if I would be able to 'install' or 'load' all conceivable hardware drivers or put them 'near-line' so that it works on more system.
Of course, if it is a Swiss Army knife tool, a leaner distro would be better. Here I wanted it as a desktop for serious 'office' work and 'show-case' to arouse more interest in Linux Mint.
Thanks in advance.

guruwannabe 8 years ago

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your comments.
As a newbie, I might have understood the concept of ideas wrongly.
I thought that 'personal' ideas means 'mini-projects' that I would like to do and share as contribution to the community or get the community involved if it is something that's worth other's effort.
And yes, I have intention of making it into tutorials or guides or mini-lessons.
Thus, I have jot it down like starting a journal: its more like a to-do or WIP.
The point is, I know its done before and I hope more people would be encouraged to take Linux and Mint seriously when more people 'carry' their Linux Mint in their Portable Hard Disk to show around.
Well, how about getting more manufacturers interested enough to 'promote' their PHD - PortableHD with the 'Linux' inside or 'LinuxMint' inside logo?
Well, an idea is just an idea until more people 'just do it'.
I do not know where I am going, but I am on my way...
Regards and thanks again.
Bob (guruwannabe)
PS:
Yes, now Linux Mint is on: 2PCs at home and my PHD. Another PHD is running Kubuntu. Do not know when I would be able to get this into a Tutorial as I am at the moment busy in a couple of things: Looking for a New Job, learning more about PHP frameworks, exploring into TomatoUSB on my ASUS-RT-N16, Making Samba works in my mini-LAN.

blueXrider 8 years ago

@guruwannabe Was there a point here because it has been done

MongoTheMad 8 years ago

Agreed that this works well. I have successfully installed linux mint onto external HD to have my own "portable OS". It is convenient when traveling, as I can use other PCs without messing up the system & not having to deal with Windows anything. Most people who have never used linux are impressed. "Pocket drives" work the best, but even old external drives will do the job.
Also good for trying out new OS versions, without committing install to main PC.
This should probably be a tutorial.

Bob_BC 8 years ago

Agreed. This works well. Carry a Verbatum "Wallet" with Mint 11 on it:
http://www.verbatim.com/prod/hard-drives/portable/wallet-drive/
Use it myself for doing installations. Works as well or better than a thumb drive or DVD/CD.

The drive is super thin and has a leather covering. Slips into your pocket or kit bag.

remoulder 8 years ago

This is not an idea or a tutorial

kazztan0325 8 years ago

I think this article should be written as a Tutorial, not as an Idea.