Additional time zone clocks in the system clock

bergamot
  8 years ago
  Selected

There's an idea: to make it possible to create different time zones settings and save them as a separate clocks, like you do in Windows 7. It would be very useful. At least to have one more clock inside the main one. You just click on it, like you do when you open a calendar, and under the calendar there's an additional time zone section.

You may limit this so that user can add only one more clock to the main one, or you can make it possible to add a few more clocks.
Latest comments
edgaroliveiradev 3 years ago

Hello everyone,

I enjoy so much this advice! thanks all community for that. I got it configuration all times I wanted. But how can I put three clock directly on the panel?

Doubt: How can I put the image on comment?
Thanks

bladouze_mint 6 years ago

yes !
I think gnome classic has a good exemple also withe "places"

andygmorris 6 years ago

Yes, I think this is required. This kind of feature is available in Unity and KDE (at least). I miss this as a user of Cinnamon. Perhaps I will find an alternative app in the Software Center to cater for it in the mean time.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@bergamot:
I also wonder about it like you.

'Pinguy OS 11.04' has downgraded compiz (0.8.6) at first for avoiding the troubles which attend with latest compiz...

bergamot 8 years ago

I just wonder why the Team uses new Compiz with bugs instead of using the previous one, old and good version?

bergamot 8 years ago

@kazztan0325 
Just testing new skills. :)

bergamot 8 years ago

Oh thank you, kazztan0325, thanks a lot! A appreciate your help.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

Put '@' before USERNAME, and put ':' or '(space)' behind USERNAME.

It seems if we put '!' , '?' , '(apostrophe)' or ',' behind USERNAME, it doesn't work as link.
If we want to use these symbol, put '(space)' then put these.

e.g.
- @kazztan0325! - @kazztan0325 !
- @kazztan0325? - @kazztan0325 ?
- @kazztan0325's - @kazztan0325 's
- @kazztan0325, - @kazztan0325 ,

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@bergamot:

About a workaround for compiz on Mint 11, you can refer HOW TO DOWNGRADE TO COMPIZ 0.8.6 IN LINUXMINT 11 in Mint Forums.

bergamot 8 years ago

By the way, how do you make this "@usernick" links in your comments? :) I have no idea.

bergamot 8 years ago

to kazztan0325

Oh, thanks for your advice, once again! :) I'll try to apply this, however I'm using Mint 10 because I'm so afraid of Compiz bugs with Mint 11 (I had some problems with windows borders. I know you shouldn't activate Cube plugin, it crashes all the graphocs, but there's the problem: I hadn't activated it.)

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@bergamot:

You are welcome.

By the way, I also encountered the same problem with yours when I installed Mint 11 at first time.
So I added a panel at the top of screen, and put clock applet on it.

bergamot 8 years ago

@kazztan0325

Oh, well, it's just great! It solves my problem and make my idea just nonsense. How didn't I notice it before? Maybe it's because of this silly but annoying bug with my clocks and Compiz activated: this panel you launch by clicking on the clock, it appears somewhere above, not actually above the panel, but separately on the screen, near the upper border of the screen (I've got my clocks on the nether panel). So I didn't pay much attention to this location section because I couldn't see it properly.

Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to apply your step-by-step instructions.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@compuman2004:

You are welcome!

I'm glad you have noticed it.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@bergamot:
Actually it is very easy. Follow the process like below.

Right-click on image and click on 'Open Image in New Tab' in context menu, you would be able to see larger image.

1)2)3)4)
Add-Location_001.jpgAdd-Location_002.jpgAdd-Location_003.jpgAdd-Location_004.jpg
5)6)7)8)
Add-Location_005.jpgAdd-Location_006.jpgAdd-Location_007.jpgAdd-Location_008.jpg

1) Click on Clock, then Click on Edit button.

2) Clock Preferences dialogue will appear. Click on Locations tab, then Click on Add button.

3) Choose Location dialogue will appear.

4) Type a country name, pop-up list will appear.

5) Choose a city where you want to add, and Click on it.

6) Location Name will be filled in, and Time zone will be chosen automatically, Latitude and Longitude will be filled in automatically too, then Click on OK button.

7) Click on Close button.

8) Done.

bergamot 8 years ago

to kazztan0325

Yeah, that's right! How did you do that?:)

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@bergamot:
Is your suggestion like below?

More-than-one-TZ_001.jpg

Right-click on image and click on 'Open Image in New Tab' in context menu, you would be able to see larger image.

bergamot 8 years ago

Well, I don't think there's much to work on, really. I'm out of the programming, of course, but as I understand it, we have already one time zone and a clock for it. So, all we need is to embed one more time zone and correspondent section of GUI for that.

In fact, I don't know how powerful or big the team is. I'm just offering what I consider to be a good and useful ideas.)

trollboy 8 years ago

Good idea, but again this may be upsteam of Mint. I don't know if the small Mint team will have the time to develop such changes.