Universal Mail-Checking Applet

bergamot
  8 years ago
  Selected

Isn't it possible to create some kind of universal checking mail applet? I know there are applets for Gmail. But I mean, if a person uses mail client, like Thunderbird or Evolution, and has many more different mailboxes than just Gmail. So, to check their mail, they have to launch their client. But it's inconvenient if you want just to glimpse at your incoming mail and then close the program.

So, maybe it's possible to create such a universal mail-checker which can check you mail without launching the app? It integrates with mail clients, get an access to their data with all mailboxes, and then from time to time checks new mail.

If there's not a way to make such program, maybe you can use another approach. For example, this mail-checker do launch mail client to scan the incoming messages, but the client is launched in the background, without user noticing it.

Is this possible? I really need such app and appreciate it.
Latest comments
bergamot 8 years ago

@Alexio 
OK, idea will remain.

Thanks for tutorial. I've left a comment below that text -- my asking for some help. Thank you again!

Alexio 8 years ago

To learn how to make use of Popper - the e-mail notifier and indicator, you should read the documentation available on the Help tab of the Popper Configurator.

Alexio 8 years ago

No, keep the idea. It will help others to find the solution to your idea ;)

bergamot 8 years ago

@Alexio 
Oh, sorry. It just started working. Thank you again, Alexio! I think it's the right app that everybody who responded here need.

So, should I just delete this idea or what?

bergamot 8 years ago

@Alexio 
Thanks! I've installed Popper now and have it configured. However, I don't know how it should work, but it do nothing for me. I've never seen a message from it. So - I don't know what to say. :)

Alexio 8 years ago

Popper is an e-mail notifier that "reads the new emails from POP3 and IMAP email servers and notifies about the number, subject, sender and time of new emails in the indicator applet and via a notification bubble".

bergamot 8 years ago

Oh, well, I'm glad to see here some feedback. Who knows, maybe we'll get this applet of dream in some future? :)

bergamot 8 years ago

@Emil89

It's OK.:)

Emil89 8 years ago

@bergamot Oh, sorry, my bad.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

I promote this idea.
I have 3 mail accounts.
It would be nice if we could check more than one mailbox with one applet.

bergamot 8 years ago

Yeah, trollboy, I agree with you - you can just keep your mail client open, however not always. So, it's just an idea to contribute and consider - to create such universal applet.

Emil89, you're totally misunderstood me. If my English that bad? :) Okay, again: I know how use Thunderbird and create many accounts, but I would like to have an applet for checking my incoming mail without actually launching Thunderbird (or Evolution, or any other mail client you like to use). There is such applet for your gmail account, and I think it's possible to create some kind of universal applet. Maybe not for supporting every single mail client, but working with the most popular ones.

trollboy 8 years ago

Different mail clients store data in different ways so it may be difficult to make a truly universal applet in that way. It should be possible to make an applet that can check a list of accounts and display new messages and then open your mail client to read them.

I keep my mail client open all the time anyway so have no real interest in such a beastie but I can see the benefit for those with limited resources.

Emil89 8 years ago

You CAN have more than one mail account on Thunderbird (I have two), so if I didn't misunderstand you, that's your solution. Just go to Edit/Account settings... click Account actions and Add mail account. :)