They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Nouveau and the Hardware Manager

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

RayWoods
Considered
  Score:
14 votes
Idea:

In spite of it being a valiant effort nouveau really just isn't up to the job yet and should just be retained as a back up driver if all else fails.

Unfortunately this is the case with LMDE and nouveau is used on both my installs of the 201109 64 bit edition. I've read quite a few 'How Tos' now and I just can't install the (in my case) NVIDIA driver. (I had to re-install LMDE three time today because of this problem - mind you try that with MS Vista!!)

Can the Hardware Manager which installs these drivers in the Ubuntu Editions of Linux Mint be brought into LMDE? (Or, at least publish a very simple How To for idiots like me please.)

Comments:

6 years ago

gajananvk
Please include updater as well so that we can install correct software from internet  
7 years ago

trollboy
I have a fairly chunky graphics card so maybe that compensates, although I don't use a huge number of the compiz effects. My card is a GeForce GT 320.

Anyway, when I look in Synaptic, it seems I installed the nvidia-glx package and the nvidia-settings package to get a config GUI along with any dependencies. The nvidia-glx package should keep the drivers updated through kernel updates.

7 years ago

RayWoods
I can't even get compiz working @trollboy, you're luckier than me!  
7 years ago

trollboy
[edit]
A hardware drivers module would make LMDE even more minty
[/edit]

7 years ago

trollboy
I find the nouveau drivers to be fine for desktop use and even for compiz but you can't use them for games. I can't remember how I installed the nvidia drivers as it was a while ago; it may have been by installing the package nvidia-glx (although at one time this had a problem due to a testing issue!)

If you install the driver manually you need to balcklist the nouveau drivers before retarting as they clash quite badly.

7 years ago

RayWoods
Hi @blueXrider, yes xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is installed on my LMDE Boxand my graphics are like treacle! The video card by the way is a NVIDIA 8400G5.  
7 years ago

blueXrider
Installation

To use the nouveau drivers, your kernel drm version and your libdrm version need to match. The installation can basically be done this way:

# apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Courtesy of http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation

Other ideas from RayWoods