Etiquette

blueXrider
  7 years ago
  Selected

These rules from the forums need to be adapted to the Community and Posted in the Ideas and Tutorial sections. It may help to reduce similar ideas being posted and tutorials that have nothing to do with Mint ie: references to lottery or meaningless software.

~~~~~IF ANYONE DISAGREES. LETS HEAR YOUR OPINION. THIS IS AN OPEN COMMUNITY BUT THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME TYPE OF ETIQUETTE TO HELP THIS STOP!~~~~~

Forums rules: General

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 am
Welcome to the Mint forum!
We hope you enjoy using the forum.
RULES
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spam and other posts that are completely out of order will be deleted without further notice.
User names that are offensive or clearly intended only for spam (contains certain letter combinations known to be used by spammers) or used for spam will also be deleted and/or banned without further notice.
Offensive names can be, but is not limited to, names that have sexual and/or political content
Be warned - this happens even if you have posted "real posts" before
Do not post references to pirated software
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search for a solution first - in the forum and on the internet as a whole

If you overclock your computer, stop that and see what happens before you ask for help

Please consider which forum you post in - it matters. The right forum increases your chances of a speedy answer.

If you have a new question make a new post, it will be noted as an unanswered post by many. Do not add to an existing topic
Posts added to a very old topic will be ignored - it is hard enough to keep track as it is

Supply facts about your problem - things like which hardware, which version of Mint and software that are involved, error messages (as exactly as possible) and more. This may give you a real answer directly instead of a request for facts.
And please tell us if you run Mint with the help of mint4win

Don't cross post - one post is enough.

Use (decent) standard English. The Mint forums have "always" been written in pretty good English. Not all here are native English speakers (including parts of the team, like Clem and Husse)

Be polite - the forum behaves so well generally that this is really not necessary to point out.

Be patient - everybody here is unpaid (even Clem) so we have other obligations like our jobs that have priority. I (Husse) also have irregular working hours so there are a few days every month when I do not have time for Mint.

Please don't ask general support questions in private messages, it's much better to post in the forum
I, Husse, will only ask you to make a topic in the forum - it's much better as there can be days when I do not have time for Mint.
However if you think you don't get useful answers you are welcome to PM me with a link to the topic.

------------------------------------

After you have posted

Please add "Solved" to the subject line when your problem is solved. (Just push the "Edit" button to do it)

You may have received an answer, but you feel you are waiting in vain for more answers.
If you think you need more help, just bump your post. You can provide more facts or just post the word bump and the topic will move up the list of topics and get attention

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Edited for text 10-7-2011 to resolve overflow
Latest comments
Qruqs 6 years ago

Speaking of which, someone should be forced to clean up the comments in the Software Manager from all the blasted "Quite nice" comments in the Software manager. Why? Because there is no blasted chance any one person could have thoroughly tested all those hundreds, if not thousands of software and come to the conclusion that 4 stars would be an appropriate verdict for all of them.

All my points come from real work. Can that dude say the same? I doubt it! Fooey! >P

quake0 7 years ago

I am no a big fan of user name restrictions. I hate over censership.

psyckers 7 years ago

So true, a little bit of chaos is all well and good. Thats how good forums and online communities like this one stay strong. Though yes sometimes you need to redress the need for order and perhaps do some spring cleaning of the areas here.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @blueXrider .

English is not my native language. Still it will require an input from you all to help us all.

blueXrider 7 years ago

@sunewbie: Nice job on the tutorial.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Hi all,

I have created guidelines modified for community here

General Rules and Guidelines for Community Ideas and Tutorials:

Please do let me know if I missed anything or anything needs to be corrected.

Thank you.

Please do let me know if I have missed anything.

Thank you all

sunewbie 7 years ago

sorry @blueXrider for the mistake. I mixed up 2 issues.

i was referring to this bug:

Title: Web site column width is renders incorrectly
https://bugs.launchpad.net/community.linuxmint.com/+bug/858801

Regarding the modification of rules. I appreciate your idea. I was thinking of creating tutorial (unofficial). This will help mods, as a rough sketch will be ready for them.

I remember that, a few days back, I had communicated with @oscar799. They are working on Husses's 'Before you post, read this'

blueXrider 7 years ago

@sunewbie

Don't know exactly what you mean?

sunewbie 7 years ago

@bluXrider:

You have already submitted a bug. It is already considered, but us still unassigned :)

kazztan0325 7 years ago

@McLovin:

You, as a Moderator, have to add comments to explain the reason why did you mark this idea as Considered.

I think Moderators have to add comments to explain the reason why did they change the Status without regard to the idea be marked as Rejected or be marked as Considered.

blueXrider 7 years ago

First, thanks for the support @sunewbie but the Idea isn't mine, exactly.

Second, the "rules" came from the forums and yes they should be adapted to the community.

Third, I agree with you about the modifications. That's why I stated they should be adapted to the community.

~~~~~ I cannot control the overflow from here on out, the text is defaulted. If there is a problem with the format, you can't read it then reset your browser and if that doesn't work report it to https://bugs.launchpad.net/community.linuxmint.com

Thanks

sunewbie 7 years ago

i agree. I still have the problem of text overflow and i cannot see the no of points scored.

This is idea is good and i am promoting it.

I think this post (idea) needs to be modified for community with reference to tutorials, ideas and hardware.

1. Welcome to the Mint forum! - change to welcome to Mint Community!

2. Please add "Solved" to the subject line. There is no marking [solved] in idea or any module in community.

3. Just bump your post.: how to do it. I also do not know how to do it in forums - I may be dumb

4. Supply facts about your problem - things like which hardware, which version of Mint and software that are involved, error messages (as exactly as possible) and more. This may give you a real answer directly instead of a request for facts.
And please tell us if you run Mint with the help of mint4win
*please think about changing it too

5. Please consider which forum you post in - it matters. The right forum increases your chances of a speedy answer.
think over this issue

What do you think ???

Am I missing something?

blueXrider 7 years ago

Thank you for the support @compuman2004 @trollboy @kazztan0325 @Emil89 and @efhialex 

The Community needs the support of everyone

efthialex 7 years ago

If everyone follow these rules, we will get a very organised community. I think this article should be uploaded at LinuxMint's home page.

Great work @blueXrider.

Emil89 7 years ago

With some modification, these rules should be used.

kazztan0325 7 years ago

I also agree with this idea, of course!

By the way, isn't there any effective way to research the same or similar ideas?
I think it would be better the Ideas Module would also have an option to add Tags like the Tutorials Module.

trollboy 7 years ago

What would help with the search issue would be the default being to search all statuses. It's a pain to search them all individually so people wont bother. I'm sure that's been posted as an idea... Ah yes; forwarded for consideration.

blueXrider 7 years ago

Thanks @Tonya 

Tonya 7 years ago

Totally agree with this idea.

blueXrider 7 years ago

@RayWoods Edited for text size