"Like" a comment or topic in the forum

hinto
  8 years ago
  Considered

As we anti-social computer geeks embrace social media software, it would be nice to be able to "like" a topic or comment in the forums area.
Latest comments
sunewbie 7 years ago

while i agree with @kazztan0325 and @compuman2004 , I appreciate @Mclovin 's sincerity and honesty.

I understand that mods are volunteers. Mint new version is released every six months and there are one year ideas which are still new. Atleast make another option 'viewed', so that we are not disheartened.

I, personally, understand that you and other mods cannot devote more time. No offences.

just my 2 cents.

blueXrider 8 years ago

I for one as labeled "anti-social computer geek" take offense to the statement made here by the moderator. If there were any flames then they obviously came from him.

Stick to the facts, deviations of the facts lead to the demise of the community.

I agree with @compuman2004 "Don't fault the users for the Moderators failures"

hinto 8 years ago

forums area.
I take no offense. My intent is to make the Linux Mint experience more complete, whether it's the iso, forum, or community. I just provide the idea.

As a side note, it would also be great to "tag" a thread as "favorite". I suppose you could do that with your browser bookmark, bu mine would quickly fill up since I bookmark favorites from other sites, not just Mint.

trollboy 8 years ago

I like this idea; like buttons work well on forums and depending on the maturity of the forum users, a dislike button can also work well.

As to old ideas being cleared up <clears throat> ideas over a year old are just that "old". It would be nice if they were cleared but it's hardly essential or maybe I'm the only person who doesn't venture that far back as I assume they have been considered / rejected etc even if they haven't been updated.

Moderators tend to do a thankless task on any site; when things go well they are not noticed and when things don't go as smoothly they get complained about or to. As a mod on a couple of sites I know this deeply and personally ^_^ but we do it because it's a way of helping.

I don't think they are particularly inconsistent on the community or forums here, maybe they have a bit too much to do but at least that indicates a flourishing community.

I'm off my soap box now. Sorry if that's a bit ranty, it wasn't meant to be.

McLovin 8 years ago

well this idea was just created 8 hours ago, and I just got home from work a little while ago, and started going through latest ideas to see what's what. We are all volenteers, and it does take time to look through all the things that are posted, as we have a multitude of things to go through, the forums, the community site, as well as testing and developing the variouse mint releases. I do appologize if things take a bit longer than some users would like, but there are only a certain number of us, and we all have other obligations as well, we do the best that we can to try to keep up on things.

McLovin 8 years ago

Ok, that is enough of the petty bickering and putting down this user for his idea, the section of the forums has been there since day 1, and will continue to be there, for various reasons. There IS a relationship between the forums and the community site, being that they are BOTH part of the Mint community as a whole, and there is a section for tips and tricks in both the community site, as well as the forums, and they both serve a purpose. You may not agree with this users idea, but that is no reason to start a flame war, or disrespecting ANY user for Any reason.

Next person who disrespects this user, or any other user, will be reported, and if deemed necessary, have disciplinary action taken against them.

blueXrider 8 years ago

Well, I see this:

The Community is NOT a help forum, if you need help go to the forums.

New ideas are not "NEW" if they are a year old. Do something with them, Reject, Implement or remove them. Same goes for Tutorials. If the Tutorials are relevant to installation or operation of the OS then they should be kept. If they have nothing to do with the later then remove them.

I really don't care to install LOTTERY numbers "tips and tricks for lottery".

There IS NO RELATIONSHIP between the two areas (forums and community). I agree.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@remoulder:

I found you have written "Maybe if you explained what you are actually referring to and how it's relevant here?" on an idea: "Forum: Too much captcha".

Don't you think your comments which you posted on this idea is inconsistent with above?

remoulder 8 years ago

The Suggestions & New Ideas forum existed before this website was created and has just been left in place as an alternative discussion area. Likewise the Report Bugs forum. I guess Clem just thought not everyone would want to use this site (or even be aware of it) and it was better to just leave the forums in place. The relationship between this site and the forums is a mystery to me too. :)

blueXrider 8 years ago

It seems the "Community" and the "Forums" are segregated.

I don't see any continuity between the two when making comments.

Strange as it is, you can link to the forums from the community but you cant link to the community from the forums.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@hinto and @remoulder 

I'm sorry I have misunderstood about the relation between Community and Forums.

But I don't understand yet why do forums also have "Suggestions & New Ideas" section.

remoulder 8 years ago

@kazztan0325: I disagree that this should be posted in the forums. This is an ideas area for the entire mint community of which the forums is part, and this seems to be a genuine idea for once.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@hinto:

Are you talking about "in the forums area"?
If then, please post your idea in Forums.

There is Promote button in Community already.