Disclaimer

sunewbie
  8 years ago
  Considered

I did not found disclaimer on Mint downloads page. I think it is important to have disclaimer to be on safer side.

PCLinux OS has Disclaimer

Disclaimer: THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY CLEM AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE

I think we should modify this to suit Mint.

i only found statement License and source code on downloads page (common as a footer)

Linux Mint is free of charge (thanks to your donations and adverts on the website) and we hope you'll enjoy it.

Some of the packages we distribute are under the GPL. If you want to access their source code you can use the apt-get source command. If you can't find what you're looking for please write to root AT linuxmint DOT com and we'll provide the source to you.

Kindly think about it.

Thank you
Latest comments
sunewbie 8 years ago

I agree with you, that community should not be involved to this level and in some critical decisions, but on second thought, I think should we not point out to Clem and dev team, who is working hard to give us an OS for FREE.

This is just a pointer. Rest depends upon them.

Cheers

sunewbie 8 years ago

OK. No issues

blueXrider 8 years ago

I looked into the Ubuntu disclaimer because Mint is based on Ubuntu and found corporate jargon and several appendix with regards to corporate issues.

As far as a disclaimer goes this would be left to Clem and his legal counsel. I do not believe this is something a Community member has any right to say.

It is NOT for us to be involved in.

sunewbie 8 years ago

i am sorry about typing mistake. Instead of

Do you need everything that

it should be

Do you **read everything that

I will read them in free time, with an effort to understand it :)

Launchpad while suggesting correction in language, says bsd type license. I will search bsd license too.

trollboy 8 years ago

There speaks someone who has read too many proprietary software licences. They seem to spend an inordinate effort on making them complex and hard to understand. The GPL on the other hand has spent a similar effort on making it easy to understand.

Obviously, it's a licence so it has some legalese but on the whole they've done a good job.

GPL V3
GPL V2

sunewbie 8 years ago

hmm ok. I never had a look at GPL license. As an End user, I do not read that is hidden with small text :). Maybe companies look into it.

Do you need everything that is written in terms and conditions while signing gmail account or while installing any software?

So important point is to highlight, while most commercial companies tend to hide disclaimer and terms and conditions it with small size 7 or 8 font in print :D

Anyways, thanks for the info.

trollboy 8 years ago

This is covered in the GPL and I assume other licences. Particularly the free(dom) ones. It wouldn't be a bad idea to also display such a disclaimer on the downloads page.

sunewbie 8 years ago

thank you @compuman2004 .