Create script to fix Splash screen issues in LMDE

madwoollything
  8 years ago
  Considered

The instructions to get the Plymouth splash screen working in LMDE are quite complex and not for a 'newish' user.

If an automated script or utility could be written to correct the problems with the LMDE splash screen and allow LMDE to boot as the more 'polished' versions of Mint, that would be fantastic.
Latest comments
blueXrider 8 years ago

@RayWoods tutorial

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/646

Good one RayWoods

kazztan0325 8 years ago

I did trial and error for enabling Plymouth on my LMDE (VM in VirtualBox).

I referred @RayWoods 's comments (Thank you, @RayWoods !) and some articles on debian website: e.g. "plymouth", "Howto: Plymouth in Debian Squeeze" etc.

But I just got 'Black Screen' while booting it after all...
I don't know yet what was wrong.

RayWoods 8 years ago

Don't ask me how but my plymouth experience with LMDE became complete on my Sony VAIO Notebook (VGN-SZ5MN/B) running 64 bit LMDE on the Latest Repository. Until last week it only properly worked on shutdown (using Debian Solar as the theme). At the end of last week I noticed an update, Debian something or rather and since then it now even works on start up too. The plymouth packages I have installed (under the Blitzkrieg method of problem solving) are:-
plymouth 0.8.3-19
plymouth-drm
plymouth-themes-all ver 0.8.3-19
plymouth-themes-fade-in ver 0.8.3-19
plymouth-themes-glow ver 0.8.3-19
plymouth-themes-mint ver 1.0.1
plymouth-themes-script ver 0.8.3-19
plymouth-themes-solar ver 0.8.3-19
plymouth-themes-spinfinity ver 0.8.3-19
plymouth-themes-xbmc-loc 10.1-0.7
plymouth-x11 ver 0.8.3-19

The only plymouth package not installed was the dev package.

This isn't the only problem for me with LMDE. I have a problem printing, from the laptop wirelessly to my ageing Epson SC760 attached via a usb port on the desktop computer (which is also running LMDE Latest 64 bit). Once a job is sent to the printer it just stays there; it prints out on the printer but the job just stays put in the laptop. Thoughts anyone?

I'm also having problems with cronscripts and Gnome Scheduler as well. Hey ho!

blueXrider 8 years ago

No boot splash

Plymouth wasn't considered stable enough to be included in LMDE. Alternatives such as usplash or splashy seemed obsolete and rather than using them temporarily, it was decided not to use any default boot splash.

Use Super Boot manager for Grub, Burg and Plymouth.
http://www.sourceslist.eu/blog/linux-blog/super-boot-manager-buc-version-download-installation/

blueXrider 8 years ago

This brings us to another issue. When writing tutorials... there isn't enough information as to what distro it applies to ie:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/641 which is How to restart Gnome Shell. Are we to assume that it applies to all Mint distros using Gnome?

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@compuman2004:
You are welcome, my friend.
But your word "expertise"..., You overestimate me...

Anyway, we would like to hear @RayWoods 's opinion, wouldn't we?

kazztan0325 8 years ago

I tried the way which I posted below on my 'LMDE 201109 Gnome'(Virtual Machine in Virtualbox) a little while ago, but It didn't work.

kazztan0325 8 years ago

@compuman2004:

It seems the formation of packages for Plymouth in LMDE is different from Main Edition.

Please refer a tutorial "Create your own LMDE, Part 2", though it is older information.
I would quote a part which is concerned with Plymouth below.

"Plymouth

Want a beautiful boot screen? Or at least something more than text sprawling over your screen during boot?

$ sudo apt-get install plymouth plymouth-themes-all
$ sudo plymouth-set-default-theme solar

(We'll use the "solar" Plymouth theme as an example. There are other themes, of course...although the plymouth-themes package doesn't really contain all that many themes.)

Of course, I'm sure some of you have experienced problems with Plymouth due to KMS and proprietary ATI/Nvidia drivers. This still applies to Debian, unfortunately. But there is a way (that works in Ubuntu/Mint as well) to have both a working Plymouth and proprietary drivers (basically involves the use of a vesa framebuffer to get Plymouth working).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml

Just follow "Alternative One". Do make a backup of /etc/default/grub if you aren't sure of what you're doing though."

I think maybe @RayWoods knows something about Plymouth in LMDE.